Hmm. Not sure how to respond to that. I can run the Web App and DB locally already for the site; I have pulled all the CMS files via FTP from the Azure Web App and transferred the database locally; changed the connection string and site works fine. But I cannot upgrade the site using the utility provided for download (it throws an error).
I guess you would be saying:
1. Created a new v9 instance locally
2. Update it to the same revision that is in Azure
3. Take the exported site from Azure and import it locally
4. Update/upgrade that instance to v10
5. Fix/update any issues with custom code
And then? Deploy the entire local v10 web app instance back up to Azure? Does that sound about right? Just making sure here before I start off on an all day process. Plus I would have to take the site offline for how ever long it takes to copy up 300+ MB of files and move the SQL DB back up to Azure as well.
What about the SmartSearchWorker Role? How does that get upgraded?
Thanks again for all the answers so far.