Hi - finally got to my laptop. So, to summarise what you want to do from your original post:
You want to be able to display the latest news on the homepage. You mention using a module, but also creating pages.
I'm going to make the following assumptions:
- You're using the out-of-the-box news page type News which has a code name of
- The News template is the out-of-the-box template with the code name
- You do not already have news pages created.
- You want to show the three most recent news articles.
Your content tree looks something like this:
- Home (template - Home page)
News (template - News list)
- News article 1 (template - News list)
- News article 2 (template - News list)
- News article n (template - News list)
Even if this is not the case, the following steps should see you right.
The Repeater web part allows you to specify a set of pages which you want to display some information for. Then, using a Transformation, the Repeater will format the information about the pages that have been retrieved on the page.
What you need to to is, in the Design tab of your home page, add a Repeater web part where you wish the latest news to be shown. Configure the web part with the following properties:
- Page types: CMS.News
- Order by: NewsReleaseDate DESC
- Select only published: Checked
- Select top N pages: 3
- Transformation CMS.News.Preview
Once you save these changes, your home page should now show you the latest 3 news articles. This pretty much does what you need. There is a good high-level Getting started with Kentico tutorial that can walk you through the basics of using Kentico if that helps?
The News list template - as you stated - will display an index of News pages, unless you are looking at an individual News pages. In the tree I mentioned earlier, the News page can be a Page (menu item) page type, as it does not need to do anything special. But, on the Repeater used on the News list template, there is also a Selected item transformation set. When this is used, the web part is aware that the current page is
CMS.News page, and so applies the other transformation, to provide a detail view, rather than a summary view.