Upgrade from 7 to 8 ... after hotfix 7.0.86

Pierre-Luc Simard asked on November 24, 2016 19:35

Hi guys,

As of first's Juraj reply to this blog post, the upgrade tools is not suitable to K7 hotfix 7.0.86 and over. That said, the second reply from Jura says that the upgrade tool was updated and now supports hotfixes over 7.0.86.

So I have downloaded the K7 to K8 upgrade tool. I ran the sql script manually and the code upgrade automatically.

Unfortunatly, when I started the website I ran into the folling error:

Server Error in '/' Application.

Invalid column name 'UserShowSplashScreen'.
Invalid column name 'UserWebPartToolbarEnabled'.
Invalid column name 'UserWebPartToolbarPosition'.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please            review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Invalid column name 'UserShowSplashScreen'.
Invalid column name 'UserWebPartToolbarEnabled'.
Invalid column name 'UserWebPartToolbarPosition'.

Source Error:


Line 510:        else
Line 511:        {
Line 512:            e.Authenticated = Membership.Provider.ValidateUser(Login1.UserName,    Login1.Password);
Line 513:        }
Line 514:    }

What I don't understand, is that the sql script from the upgrade tool deletes specifically these columns.

Can you help me out?

thanks

Recent Answers


Peter Mogilnitski answered on November 24, 2016 20:06

Was the upgrade successful? Did you check the Event log? There should be log saying "Upgrade - FINISHED". Did you check this by any chance?

0 votesVote for this answer Mark as a Correct answer

Pierre-Luc Simard answered on November 24, 2016 20:31

Hey Peter,

Nice to talk to you again.

Unfortunatly, there nothing such as upgrade Upgrade - Start or Upgrade - Finish. Furthermore, I got attached to the process and it does not even hit my breakpoint in upgradeprocedure.cs

0 votesVote for this answer Mark as a Correct answer

Pierre-Luc Simard answered on November 24, 2016 21:28

OK Peter I got my problem,

We have special deployment scripts here even for local-development websites so Global.asax was not copied to root so request were not routed to the upgrade procedure.

I have gone further. Let's keep in touch !

many thanks

0 votesVote for this answer Mark as a Correct answer

Peter Mogilnitski answered on November 24, 2016 21:30

Looks like you have old k7 code running with the new K8 DB. For ex: UserSettings table doesn't have anymore column ShowSplashScreen in the new K8, so when do ui.UserSettings.UserShowSplashScreen - it crushes. Try to compile the site and fix compilation errors manually, if you have too many errors - you might consider starting all over again.

0 votesVote for this answer Mark as a Correct answer

Pierre-Luc Simard answered on November 24, 2016 21:57

Actually I am pretty sure I have no K7 assemblies loaded as none are shown in the loaded module window in VS

0 votesVote for this answer Mark as a Correct answer

Brenden Kehren answered on November 28, 2016 18:46

I've run into this on several upgrades and found the easiest thing to do is run the hotfix for your version 7 instance to 7.0.103 then run the upgrade to 8. If this issue still persists (for me it did in several instances) write a db script to add those fields to the cms_user table. Then after you've run your upgrades to 8.2 or 9, modify your db script to remove those fields.

1 votesVote for this answer Mark as a Correct answer

   Please, sign in to be able to submit a new answer.