Portal Engine Questions on portal engine and web parts.
Version 4.x > Portal Engine > Cannot Design pages after adding a Web Part that I have Created. View modes: 
poyanj-yahoo - 3/15/2009 2:21:00 AM

Cannot Design pages after adding a Web Part that I have Created.
Hi,
I have created a Web Part in Kentico CMS 4.0 exactly like you said in your Documents,and add that web part in Administrator in Development part.when i add that Web Part to home page,it works fine and without any problem,but after adding that i cannot Design any page,I mean when i click on Design tab for edit a page the resault is like Preview mode,and the only page that I can Edit(in Design mode) is home page(the first page in Menu).
my web part consists of a User Control(that I have Placed it in a Folder in CMSWebParts) and a Class for Data Access Layer(that I have Placed it in App_Code folder).
I reinstalled Kentico and exactly after i added that web part to home page,again I couldnot Design any page.
I am looking forward to your soloutions.

Thank you

richard.pendergast-notatallstrange - 3/18/2009 11:58:39 PM

RE:Cannot Design pages after adding a Web Part that I have Created.
Not sure if it's related, but we have a couple of similar issues that come back every now and then.

1. Every now and then the browser displays content as though the page tab is selected, even when the design tab is selected. I've found that if I restart my browser everything works again.

2. Every now and then the WYSIWYG editor decides not to work any more in the page tab. I've found that if I clear my browser cache everything works again.

I've experienced both in Firefox 3, IE7 and Safari, using Kentico 3.1a and Kentico 4, and have not posted yet as I'm not yet entirely convinced it's a Kentico issue. I will be very interested in hearing if you find anything else out.

ctaleck IPAGlobal - 3/19/2009 3:08:46 PM

I have had similar problems in Firefox 3. Refreshing the page or going to another page and back usually solves the problem.

I've also seen this problem in IE7, but refreshing did not work, so I've just always use Firefox.

Kentico Support
Kentico Support
kentico_zdenekc - 3/27/2009 11:00:56 AM

Hi,

could you please specify if you use any custom scripts (.js) in your site/pages, e.g. for some dynamic menu/ navigation, etc... ? Are you using any addons in your browsers?

Thanks for any further info,

Regards,
Zdenek C.

Jagr - 4/1/2009 2:52:09 PM

Hi,

I am experiencing similar problem like the title of this thread, so I didn't want to create a new one.

I have several pages in my site, and I created one folder. Under that folder is my page named "People" which is presenting a list of my items from custom document type that I created.

I am using Preview transformation for representing items in repeater on "People" page, and Default transformation for detailed view of the documents.

But when I go to Design view of my custom documents, the page is blank, and I can't see any of webparts and zones. I checked permissions and everything seems OK to me. I tried with deleting cookies but it doesn't work.

I am not sure what is wrong. Does anyone have the idea how should I fix this?

Kentico Developer
Kentico Developer
kentico_zbysekn - 4/2/2009 6:53:19 AM

Hi Jagr,
could you please send us export package of your site to our support mail ,so we can try to inspect what can be causing this problem?
Best Regards,
Zbysek Nemec.

Jagr - 4/2/2009 7:37:32 AM

Hi Zbysek,

I have sent the package. Please help with this, it is very frustrating because I believe it is some small issue that I couldn't discover.

Thanks, cheers :)

Jagr - 4/3/2009 4:05:24 AM

Hi Zbysek,

I still can't make my custom document to have editable web parts. Can You please help me with this issue?

Thanks, cheers :)

Jagr - 4/7/2009 2:48:40 AM

I just want to post the solution to my problem, if someone is interested, because Zbysek helped me with it through e-mails...

Actually the solution was very simple and just in front of my nose, but I couldn't see it...on master page, in PagePlaceholder web part custom document types have to be enabled (placed in ShowForDocumentTypes property), and everything should work OK, and they will be visible in design mode....

Again...thanks a lot Zbysek :)

Cheers

zedg - 5/10/2009 9:01:45 AM

Hi,
I think i am having the same problem as you.. except i am not sure what you mean by the solution.. I have created all of my pages, but in the Design view of each page, the webzones do not apepar at all. The contetnt/layout of the Masterpage appears, just no zones/parts.
(You wont believe how much grief this has caused me!)

Can you explain the steps exactly, where i go/click etc..?!!

richard.pendergast-notatallstrange - 5/10/2009 9:29:37 AM

Sounds like you may have an unrelated issue. Zones not showing is typically a symptom of an inheritance issue.

Have you tried going to CMSDesk->Properties->Template, and selecting Do not inherit any content? If this works (ie. you see your zones, but not the master page content), then it's most likely an inheritance issue, and something you can fix fairly easily by adding a Page Placeholder web part to your master page.

zedg - 5/10/2009 9:55:05 AM

Thanks, I actually found it just before you posted..

but i have to say something.. Nowhere does it explain the EXACT steps on how to do this. As a Beginner I have absolutely no idea, and any documentation, even the last solution poster does not explain it properly. ie A Detailed explanation of steps is required:

eg.
When on the Design Tab of the Master page, Click the 'Add Web Part' within one of your WebZone's. In the Select Web Part popup, Open the 'General' folder, then click the 'Page Placeholder' web part to add it.

Documentation:
The master page must always contain the Page placeholder web part that specifies
where the content of sub-pages should be loaded.

= Not enough information.

hmoser-bostwicklaboratories - 5/11/2009 8:12:28 AM

Adding a Page Placeholder is outlined in the developer documentation. For admins who added a "Page Placeholder" but are still experiencing the same issue this might be the issue caused by using a "new" template that was created by the admin.

Forum Post: Can't edit website in design mode

jason.green-sandyspringsga - 3/31/2011 11:07:52 AM

I've been having the same problem. web parts and zones are not displaying in the design view.

I may have a solution...

The problem first started several months ago. At the time I was using Firefox 3 to access Kentico. I tried clearing cookies etc. with no success. I ended up switching to IE8 which seemed to work fine.

The problem then started occurring a couple of months later in IE8. The strange thing was it now worked again in Firefox 3. The problem then went away in IE8 after a few days.

The last few days the problem is back in IE8. I was about to post in this thread when I had an idea:

I ran CCleaner from piriform.com with all the options for IE selected. The next time I opened up IE8 the problem was fixed!

The reason I thought to use CCleaner is because I've experienced issues with websites before where clearing a browser's cookies just doesn't seem to clear everything. Something, somewhere get's left behind. CCleaner seems to clear whatever that something is.

I hope this helps others experiencing this issue. I hope this also helps Kentico to track down this bug and fix it.

If the problem comes back I'll post again. If I manage to establish that CCleaner is definitely the workaround to this bug, then I'll post again as well. At this point it could just be a coincidence.

Kentico Support
Kentico Support
kentico_jurajo - 4/1/2011 11:08:38 AM

Hi,

Thank you for sharing. I just want to add that in 4.x version there was also a bug when using windows authentication - the design tab was not displayed correctly. However, since version 5.x we have not encountered these issues anymore.

Best regards,
Juraj Ondrus