Design and CSS styles
Version 7.x > Design and CSS styles > re-using content View modes: 
timmcqu2-gmail - 11/21/2013 7:23:39 PM

re-using content
Hi
Is it possible to ‘share’ or ‘re-use’ content in the sense of sharing 1 piece of content between both the intranet and the public website? This means using content in a few places but updating only once.

I have 2 websites that are already built. I’m thinking of experimenting with setting up a new design template for the intranet. Do you know if I could share content from the live intranet or would I need to clone the whole intranet and then apply a new design to it? In the latter scenario I'd need to have a content freeze right?

Thanks
Tim

Certified Developer 9
Certified Developer 9
charbf - 11/22/2013 11:10:34 PM

RE:re-using content
Hi Tim,

If both Site are in the same instance and your content is in a Form as oposet to a Editable Text Webpart.
You can juste use a Repeater or document viewer. there is a setting to specify the Site

If you have 2 seperate instance you can user a SQL Datasource to connect to the other database. (you might need some one that know SQL to build the query)
With a Basic Repeater

You have many options to create the new Design. It all depens on the chances your ready to take. I recommand creating a new website and using the Export/Import options of Kentico to replicate your site in a development environment.

You can export page template and then import them to your live site.

There is a lot more options I can think of... Kentico is very flexible...

Kentico Support
Kentico Support
kentico_janh - 11/24/2013 3:16:30 AM

RE:re-using content
Hello,

The easiest way to achieve that is to create a linked document on your second site. This document just points to its original so when you change anything in one location the change is applid across all locations where you link it:

http://devnet.kentico.com/docs/devguide/index.html?creating_a_linked_document.htm

Best regards,
Jan Hermann