Site structure
Version 7.x > Site structure > How to map Kentico DB Entries to URLs and actual web pages View modes: 
borislav.sabev-isdc - 7/10/2013 7:58:17 AM

How to map Kentico DB Entries to URLs and actual web pages
So we've been tasked to migrate a Kentico (I think it's v7.0 according to the dll version) based site to another (non-.NET) solution.The site is fairly small.

Of course in order to migrate the old site to the new we must keep the old content and also the old URLs. The old URLs have .aspx at the end of course. We'd like to have them all throw a HTTP 301 to the new ones.

I am not a .NET dev and I've been snooping around Kentico's DB and Web Interface for a while now. I've narrowed it down to the CMS_Document table. :) I know and have found the following fields:

DocumentPageTitle
DocumentPageKeyWords
DocumentPageDescription
DocumentContent

All are straight forward.

Can anyone provide concrete information on where to look for the connection URL -> DB Entry -> Web Page on the same URL?

But what about DocumentUrlPath? If there is see /example can I be sure that this is equal to a real URL like /example.aspx?

Which table does DocumentForeignKeyValue point to?

How do I distinguish pages from images in that table? Yes there is the DocumentType field but it only has an file extension (like .png) stored for text and picture files and it seems to be NULL for others?

Are my conclusions so far correct? Thank you for your time.

Kentico Legend
Kentico Legend
Brenden Kehren - 7/10/2013 8:23:20 AM

RE:How to map Kentico DB Entries to URLs and actual web pages
Take a look at the view named View_CMS_Tree_Joined. This will have the NodeAliasPath (rewritten url), ClassName (document type), DocumentExtensions (aspx, jpg, png etc) and about 5000 other fields you can gather data from. Going directly to the database tables will cause trouble, which is why these views are created.

kentico_sandroj - 7/10/2013 6:08:04 PM

RE:How to map Kentico DB Entries to URLs and actual web pages
Hello,

In addition to FroggEyes suggestion, this document should provide some clarification on the database structure. The database reference may also be of some use. Additionally, in order to better understand the system, may I suggest starting a blank site then adding pages and attachments one by one while checking the database to see how it impacts the system. If you have any additional questions please let us know.

Regards,
Sandro