Portal Engine Questions on portal engine and web parts.
Version 7.x > Portal Engine > Simple workflow View modes: 
Yehuda - 12/6/2012 6:20:07 AM

Simple workflow
Hello,

I'm trying to use a workflow for the following use:
After publishing a document, when there are more than 4 documents in a specific location, the older documents should be moved to another location.

I've made a custom workflow step that will do this, but I don't want the editor to be aware of the different steps and that he will be able to have his document published automatically once he saves the documents or on the date he specifies.

Basically, it should looks like that: Edit -> Publish -> Move documents, with automatic transition between the steps.

Is this possible?

Thanks

Kentico Support
Kentico Support
kentico_radekm - 12/17/2012 2:52:44 AM

RE:Simple workflow
Hello.

Well, I would maybe recommended completely different approach for this scenario. Once the document is published, workflow cycle is over. Moreover, simple workflow (compared to Advanced workflow) is very limited for such scenarios. If you want to do some bulk operation for your document after they are published, I would recommend to use WorkflowEvents.Publish event handler, as described at http://devnet.kentico.com/docs/devguide/event_handlers_overview.htm and perform required operation (moving documents) in API: http://devnet.kentico.com/docs/devguide/documents_api_examples_managing_documents.htm

Best Regards,
Radek Macalik

Yehuda - 12/17/2012 6:48:53 AM

Thanks. I did find out about the WorkflowEvents, but the Publish event doesn't get raised when using the publish from field. Is there a similar event for that situation?

Kentico Support
Kentico Support
kentico_radekm - 12/17/2012 7:19:49 AM

Hello.

Do you mean content scheduling available on Form tab and respective fields Publish from / Publish to? In this, could you please try to use DocumentEvents.Update method instead? Thank you.

Best Regards,
Radek Macalik

Yehuda - 12/18/2012 1:43:56 PM

I'll try that. Thanks