Portal Engine Questions on portal engine and web parts.
Version 7.x > Portal Engine > User Editable Records View modes: 
edwincwong-gmail - 3/5/2013 1:33:01 AM

User Editable Records
Hi,

I am trying to figure out the easiest way for authorized users to add / edit / delete data records from the site. The data collected will then be displayed in a separate page.

I am thinking of using custom tables, however, it only allow user to maintain the data thru the CMS desk. Is there anyway to allow user to maintain data from the site, without manually build a ASPX page using the API?

I looked at the BizForm also, however, it doesn't allow retrieve / edit / delete existing records.

Thanks.

Regards,

Edwin

Kentico Legend
Kentico Legend
Accepted solutionAccepted solution
Brenden Kehren - 3/6/2013 7:30:09 AM

RE:User Editable Records
Edwin, I'm currently working on a webpart that allows write access to a custom table. I also toyed around with the idea of allowing edit/delete as well. I'll look into adding this and post back when I get it complete and uploaded to the Marketplace. The webpart currently functions almost exactly like a BizForm does allowing you to send emails, redirect after submit, etc.

edwincwong-gmail - 3/6/2013 12:52:54 PM

Thank you for doing that! I believe many of us will find it very useful! Any idea of how soon you are planing to complete it? Can't wait to add that to my site!

Certified Developer v7
Certified  Developer v7
atahir33-gmail - 3/7/2013 12:13:49 AM

Hi Edwin,

You can use the following webpart:

1. Contribution list: - this web part allows you to display a list of contributions (documents) and the New document link.
2. Edit contribution: this web part allows you to edit an existing document.

http://devnet.kentico.com/docs/devguide/index.html?user_contributions_overview.htm

I used them in many sites and works great for user generated content.

Abdel

Kentico Legend
Kentico Legend
Brenden Kehren - 3/7/2013 7:21:10 AM

atahir33-gmail wrote: You can use the following webpart:

1. Contribution list: - this web part allows you to display a list of contributions (documents) and the New document link.
2. Edit contribution: this web part allows you to edit an existing document.
These are only for Document Types, not Custom Tables so I don't believe these web parts will work.

Kentico Legend
Kentico Legend
Brenden Kehren - 3/7/2013 7:19:23 AM

Been testing for a bit, now looking at adding what you mentioned to it, maybe a couple weeks.

Kentico Support
Kentico Support
kentico_radekm - 3/9/2013 5:02:19 AM

Hello.

Besides using the Custom tables module and some custom logic guys here talk about, you can still consider using our User contributions module, as also mentioned in this thread. Yes, you cannot use it for managing custom tables, but I understood that you see custom tables as one possible option, not the only option.

Basically, it depends on what data you wish to store and what should be their structure. You may want to read the following comparison of storing data in document type vs. custom tables to make the best decision: http://devnet.kentico.com/docs/devguide/storing_data_effectively.htm

Best Regards,
Radek Macalik