Portal Engine Questions on portal engine and web parts.
Version 7.x > Portal Engine > News workflow outside of CMSDesk View modes: 
rherring-fs.fed - 5/16/2013 10:47:33 AM

News workflow outside of CMSDesk
I have a simple workflow process for a new News item: Edit-->Approve-->Publish. This workflow approval process works fine within CMSDesk.

However, I'm trying to use the News module outside of CMSDesk. The user still logs into Kentico. After logging in, to test this, I copied the URL used for a new News item into a new browser window. The News form appears and I can enter the News information. I then click the save button and the News item is saved and the button now displays "Submit For Approval". It's at this point that I click the "Submit For Approval" button and it appears that it's working, but the workflow is never "fired" and moved to the Approve stage.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Rob

Kentico Support
Kentico Support
kentico_jurajo - 5/17/2013 1:08:10 AM

RE:News workflow outside of CMSDesk
Hi,

Just to be sure I am looking at the right place - are you using the user contributions to allow users to edit/add the news or, you are using the On-site editing feature?

I am not sure what exactly you mean by copying the URL. Could you please explain?

Best regards,
Juraj Ondrus

rherring-fs.fed - 5/17/2013 6:29:54 AM

The URL I'm retrieving is by doing the following:

1. Within CMSDesk I access the News from the navigation tree and select New-->News item.

2. Once the news form appears, I right-click within the form to get the URL of that news form. Example of URL: http://<domain>/CMSModules/Content/CMSDesk/Edit/Edit.aspx?action=new&classid=2956&parentnodeid=21019&parentculture=en-US

3. I then copy that URL into a new browser window. This URL brings up the news form and allows me to enter the data.

I'm using the News module as an example of what I would like to be able to do with custom document types that I have created. These custom document types have form fields that Content Contributors would fill out but not necessarily from within CMSDesk.

I'm not sure of the correct/best way to do the above.

Thanks,
Rob

Kentico Support
Kentico Support
kentico_filipl - 5/18/2013 7:40:22 AM

Hi Rob,

There is a special web part for these exact purposes - to allow users to create new documents directly on the live site. It is Contribution List web part - you can set the path in which new documents will be put, document types which can be used for new documents, permissions and many other options.

Hopefully this is what you are looking for.

Best regards,
Filip Ligac