Installation and deployment Questions on installation, system configuration and deployment to the live server.
Version 6.x > Installation and deployment > Hosting multiple sites with varied authentication requirements View modes: 
tmartin-werner - 1/13/2014 10:43:55 PM

Hosting multiple sites with varied authentication requirements
We have a 10 domain license of Kentico and have deployed several sites that do not require any user authentication to view content. I am now looking at moving one of our secured "portals" over to Kentico so our business users can release content more frequently. We will need to use our existing authentication libraries which would work with a custom security handler.

1. If using the custom security handler is there a way to prevent the users from being registered in the Kentico database? We are dealing with a 10,000 plus user base that is constantly changing.

2. If we use the custom security handler does this replace the sign in to Site Manager and CMSDesk?

3. As long as the installation is on the same server can the web application be installed in more than one folder and share a database? That way the sites that do not require authentication are not affected by the "portal" site.

Kentico Support
Kentico Support
kentico_jurajo - 1/27/2014 6:59:13 AM

RE:Hosting multiple sites with varied authentication requirements
Hi,

1. There should be at least one generic account in the Kentico DB that will be used to hold the user session. This should be ensured in your custom security handler code - for each user.

2. No, it does not replace the logons to CMS Desk/SiteManager. If the user account has appropriate permissions in Kentico (that's why you need the account record in Kentico DB - CMS_User table)

3. I am not sure I see the point here. I would maybe recommend using separate Kentico installations for sites and each having separate DB. Otherwise, you will have to configure web farm synchronization to ensure the data are distributed across the instances correctly.

Best regards,
Juraj Ondrus