Portal Engine Questions on portal engine and web parts.
Version 6.x > Portal Engine > Image Upload and Size View modes: 
Kentico Legend
Kentico Legend
Brenden Kehren - 1/24/2012 12:24:00 PM

Image Upload and Size
Is it possible to resize an image on upload within the built-in forum webpart? I have set the Site Manager>Settings>System>Files>Image Resizing>Automatic image resize on upload (max side size) = 1000 but when I upload files within the built-in forum webpart and click on them when displaying in the forum post, it shows the original size I uploaded. For instance I have tested with a simple 1280X960 image and it should have resized it to 1000X750 and it didn't.

Where does one set this property for the forum posts or other images uploaded from within a built-in webpart? I have set the CMS Desk>Tools>Forum>General>Maximum image side size = 250 so it only displays images in the post at 250px wide but that doesn't help. I can also set a max upload size but that doesn't help either as it just gives a notification that the size is too big.

Second question, currently I am storing images in the database as we didn't expect there to be many images, guess I was wrong. If I change this from Site Manager>Settings>System>Files>Storage>Store files in database to Store files in file system, will this cause problems with exisiting image links?

Kentico Developer
Kentico Developer
kentico_ivanat - 1/26/2012 3:26:30 AM

RE:Image Upload and Size
Hi,

In the CMS Desk -> Tools -> Forums -> Edit forum group -> Forums -> Edit forum -> General you can configure Attachment max. file size (kB) property, so you will not allow users to upload big files.

You may configure the max display size in the forum directly in the property Attachment image maximal side size of the forum group web part, so that images will be displayed according to your configuration. This setting is available in the Tools as well.

In the current version is resizing of uploaded physical files not supported (the upload configuration in the Site Manager is not applied on forum attachment). I will create a requirement to add this functionality to one of next versions.

As for your second question, you can change the setting. If the file will not be found in the file system, Kentico will select data from the database and copy file to the file system. Then it will be available in the file system and database in the same time.

Best regards,
Ivana Tomanickova

Kentico Legend
Kentico Legend
Brenden Kehren - 1/30/2012 9:19:56 AM

Thank you for the info Ivana. I did find that documentation stating Forum attachments weren't supported yet. Any idea on when it could be expected? I'm trying see if it will be worth the wait or try to do something on my own while I'm waiting.

Kentico Developer
Kentico Developer
kentico_ivanat - 2/6/2012 3:42:36 AM

Hi,

I discussed this with our developer and it will not be added to this version and probably there will not enough time to add it to version 7.0. I am sorry for inconvenience.

Best regards,
Ivana Tomanickova