Portal Engine Questions on portal engine and web parts.
Version 6.x > Portal Engine > Newsletter and Imported Users View modes: 
Armysniper89 - 3/14/2012 12:01:43 PM

Newsletter and Imported Users
I am migrating an existing site over to Kentico 6.0. I am using the Import Toolkit to migrate users but I want to be able to also sign them up for our newsletter we will be launching with the site. How can I best accomplish this?

Also, we are going to require that people register with our site to sign up for the newsletter, how do we accomplish this best in the registration with a simple checkbox?

Kentico Consulting
Kentico Consulting
kentico_borisp - 3/15/2012 9:00:12 AM

RE:Newsletter and Imported Users
Hello,

Adding users to newsletters can be done in CMSDesk / Tools / Newsletters / Select newsletter / Subscribers / Add users.

You can use the newsletter subscription web part for the second requirement during the user registration.

Best regards,
Boris Pocatko

Armysniper89 - 3/15/2012 9:58:02 AM

How would the web part work if in registration if what I have been asked to do is have custom registration questions and then a checkbox to sign up for a newsletter ( like most sites these days )?

The newsletter web part has its own questions it asks.

Kentico Consulting
Kentico Consulting
kentico_borisp - 3/16/2012 3:49:50 AM

Hello,

You could display both web parts/controls on a custom web part and call the save method for both web parts on one button click. Alternatively you can create a custom form control which will subscribe the user to the newsletter programmatically.

Best regards,
Boris Pocatko

Armysniper89 - 3/16/2012 1:16:43 PM

Any good examples of how to do this in code from a registration?

Kentico Consulting
Kentico Consulting
kentico_borisp - 3/22/2012 4:20:43 AM

Hello,

Regrettably, there is no example on how to do this. However there is an example on how to customize the registration web part in general. The article describes a customization for older versions of Kentico, however the main approach is still the same. For an example of an newsletter subscription via code please check the CMSAPIExamples section on your Kentico website installation.

Best regards,
Boris Pocatko