Portal Engine Questions on portal engine and web parts.
Version 6.x > Portal Engine > Document Downloads View modes: 
Armysniper89 - 4/9/2012 11:35:34 PM

Document Downloads
I have modified the base Article type to include a Document Download field. In the current version of the Article document type, our content authors upload the PDF version of the article they are creating because the field is defined as a "File" type. Ideally I would like to change this to have all the PDF's uploaded into the Media Library so that there is a central repository for all PDF documents. I want to do this for the following reasons:

1. To make it easy to find all the PDF files in the site instead of hunting down each article if we need to make changes.
2. Because, in Kentico 5.5R2, if I had articles in attached to a field in a document type, I could never find out through any Analytics whether anyone ever downloaded it. We had a support issue that was never resolved in 5.5R2 about this issue.

With that all said, if I simply move the documents to the media library and change the field to a selector instead of a file upload, is it possible to get it so that my transformation for Articles will allow a document to be downloaded. Right now I made the change in test and it throws a 404 error page when trying to click the original transformation download link. What would I need to change the transformation to so it can download the document?

Kentico Developer
Kentico Developer
kentico_ivanat - 4/10/2012 4:42:27 AM

RE:Document Downloads
Hi,

In case you are storing files in a media library, you can use Media selector form control in your document type. Then user could select, upload requested file from/to media library.

The field will contain the path to image, something like:
~/CorporateSite/media/MyNewLibrary/bnu.pdf?ext=.pdf

So you just need to create link in your transformation.

Best regards,
Ivana Tomanickova