Portal Engine Questions on portal engine and web parts.
Version 6.x > Portal Engine > System Table and Views / document not helpful View modes: 
sydney3511-gmail - 4/16/2012 4:10:40 AM

System Table and Views / document not helpful
I wonder when and how to use or create View in System Table.

I've been trying to search the example of how to use View in System Table menu in Development. I haven't seen one so far.

The document is not very helpful, btw.

Thank you very much

Kentico Support
Kentico Support
kentico_janh - 4/16/2012 6:24:41 AM

RE:System Table and Views / document not helpful
Hello,

A view can be thought of as either a virtual table or a stored query. The data accessible through a view is not stored in the database as a distinct object. What is stored in the database is a SELECT statement. The result set of the SELECT statement forms the virtual table returned by the view. A user can use this virtual table by referencing the view name in Transact-SQL statements the same way a table is referenced.

A view can simplify - for example - your WHERE conditions in web part properties. Instead of long complicated SQL query in which you would have to join two or more tables, you can just select what do you need from one view. For example:

Repeater's WHERE condition:

DocumentID IN (SELECT DocumentID FROM View_CMS_Tree_Joined WHERE NodeID = 777)

If you want to create a new view, you can define it in usuall way:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa214068%28v=sql.80%29.aspx

Best regards,
Jan Hermann

sydney3511-gmail - 4/16/2012 6:38:42 AM

Thank you Jan,

I hope that I don't need to use it.

I don't know why I cannot see this section mentioned in the document? Could be somewhere else, perhaps?

http://devnet.kentico.com/docs/devguide/index.html?system_tables_overview.htm

thank you so much for your help.

Kentico Support
Kentico Support
kentico_janh - 4/16/2012 7:54:50 AM

Hello,

And what do you see instead? A blank page? Or do you mean that you are wondering, that there is no section about Views in our documentation?

Best regards,
Jan Hermann

sydney3511-gmail - 4/16/2012 9:18:51 AM

I am sorry for not being clear.

I don't see the blank page. but in the documents, I don't see the section that gives the details about Views and how to use it. (as I mentioned, it could be somewhere else which I cannot find it, so you may know if there is somewhere in the document that I should see)

actually, I am working on finding the solution for web projects which I would like to make sure if I can use the features in kentico for the solutions.

When I look into the features in your kentico CMS that I think it might be done to the websites requirements but I cannot see it in documents, then I ask.

by the way, I have found the answer.

Thank you Jan

Kentico Support
Kentico Support
kentico_janh - 4/19/2012 2:56:04 AM

Hello,

There is nothing described about Views, because it is only a UI for something, which is well known already and there is no extra functionality related to the Views tab, but I have submitted a request to put in our documentation atleast a basic info about it.

Best regards,
Jan Hermann