Portal Engine Questions on portal engine and web parts.
Version 6.x > Portal Engine > Multilingual Questions View modes: 
greg.hardin-truematter - 4/11/2012 1:32:10 PM

Multilingual Questions
I think I may be missing something when it comes to the Multilingual Features.

Do the properties on a Document Node apply to all languages? That's what it looks like to me. What do you do if you want to have different page titles and metadata for the different languages?

On a similar note, is there a way to automatically create document aliases based on the different languages? currently I only seem to be able to do this manually.

For instance I have a page at /Projects and i'd like the spanish version to appear at /Proyectos. I've manually created this document alias currently, but it would be much more convenient if it would build it off of the document name in each language.

Am I missing something completely in the settings that would do this for me?

Kentico Support
Kentico Support
kentico_janh - 4/12/2012 4:01:49 AM

RE:Multilingual Questions
Hello,

No, metadata are culture specific, so if you fill a different page title for some document in some culture, then that title will be rendered only in that culture.

Regarding to the document aliases - there is a Use name path for URL path property in Site Manager -> Settings -> URLs and SEO, which can be set to true and then URLs will be created according the name of a document.

Best regards,
Jan Hermann

greg.hardin-truematter - 4/12/2012 8:10:27 AM

kentico_janh wrote: Hello,

No, metadata are culture specific, so if you fill a different page title for some document in some culture, then that title will be rendered only in that culture.

Regarding to the document aliases - there is a Use name path for URL path property in Site Manager -> Settings -> URLs and SEO, which can be set to true and then URLs will be created according the name of a document.

Best regards,
Jan Hermann

Ok that helps with the actual URLs. In a follow up question, Is there any way to force the language chooser to push the end user to the translated URL rather than leaving them on the current URL?

Kentico Support
Kentico Support
kentico_janh - 4/12/2012 8:26:11 AM

Hello,

No, not with the default culture selector. But it shouldn't be that difficult to implement your own web part (your own language chooser), which would take an alias of the requested document and redirect you to that page.

For more information about web part developing, please follow the link below to our documentation:

http://devnet.kentico.com/docs/devguide/index.html?developing_web_parts.htm

Best regards,
Jan Hermann