Portal Engine Questions on portal engine and web parts.
Version 6.x > Portal Engine > Global folder doesnt export View modes: 
tspring-allegra - 5/25/2012 9:03:05 AM

Global folder doesnt export
Hi,

I'm following the guidelines in the import/export structure: http://devnet.kentico.com/docs/6_0/devguide/index.html?folder_structure_and_importexport.htm

I've manually created the Global folder, and also a sub-folder named after my site (i.e. My_Site). But when I exort the site, I cant find the Global folder, My_Site folder or any of the files within these folders inside the export file. I have both 'Export global folders' and 'Export site folders' checked in the Step 2 export options.

Thanks,
Tim

kentico_edwardh - 5/25/2012 7:15:47 PM

RE:Global folder doesnt export
Hello,

When using the Export global folders option, you must place the Global folder under the following location:

- <web project>\App_Code\Global

Or rename the folder to CMSGlobalFiles:

- <web project>\CMSGlobalFiles

When using the Export site folders option which is only available when exporting a website, not just separate objects, you must place the <site code name> folder under the following location:

- <web project>\App_Code\<site code name>

- <web project>\<site code name>

You can find the Global files under ~\Data\Files\Global\App_Code\Global and the site files under ~\Data\Files\Site\App_Code\##SITENAME## in the export pacakge.

Best Regards,
Edward Hillard

tspring-allegra - 5/28/2012 4:28:53 AM

RE:Global folder doesnt export
Hi,

Thanks for the help, but unfortunately I can't use the \App_Code folder for my site custom files. For example one of the files is a javascript file, and placing it in the \App_Code folder causes an application error due to language incompatibility.

I tried putting all the files in an \App_Data\<site code name> folder which worked great in the export but for some reason made some of the files, like the javascript file, unusable within the site itself. (i.e. simply viewing the .js file returned blank code)

My main aim is to try and keep the <web project> folder tidy by not having lots of idividual <web project>\<site code name> folders for all my custom files for each site. When you have for example 10-20 sites all with custom folders, the <web project> folder gets quite messy with all the CMS folders mixed with <site code name> folders.

It would be nice to have one sub-<web project> folder I can place all my individual <site code name> folders, where they would also be recognised by the CMS to be included in the export process, and also allow me to include any file types I wish.

One work-around I found is to add the custom files to a site Media Library, and import the file links to the CMS database. That way they are included in the export package, but only if I check the "Export physical files" under the Media Library section in Step 2 of the export. Which isn't really ideal, but works.

A better option i've found is to split the file types and include all my custom images and javascript files in an \App_Themes\<site code name> folder, and all my custom c# files in an \App_Data\<site code name>. This seams to work best in accessing the files and also including them in the Export package without having to select extra options.

Thanks,
Tim