Portal Engine Questions on portal engine and web parts.
Version 6.x > Portal Engine > Attachments Carousel 3D View modes: 
chris.cole-positivepurchasing - 7/11/2012 4:38:08 AM

Attachments Carousel 3D
Hello there,

I've been working with Kentico CMS for a little while and we've recently upgraded our systems to v6.0. I noticed a whole raft of new web parts, one of which looks like a carousel...and this is just the thing I need for my company website.

Here's the thing...
I really do not have a clue how to configure the web part to work. Please can someone give me some pointers on how to set this web part up for something simple say, display a carousel of 5 other pages on the site for direct navigation? I mean, I have to start somewhere and I cannot get anything to display in the carousel at present.

I really appreciate anyone taking the time out to walk me through this.

Chris

Kentico Support
Kentico Support
kentico_jurajo - 7/12/2012 2:34:50 AM

RE:Attachments Carousel 3D
Hi,

As the web part name says - it is an attachments carousel. So, in the web part you need configure e.g. the path to a document, which contains the attachments - images.

Best regards,
Juraj Ondrus

chris.cole-positivepurchasing - 7/12/2012 3:08:18 AM

Hi Juraj and thanks for getting back to me on this.

I'll readily admit, I'm not a developer...I'm a graphic designer who knows how to work a CMS and mark-up a bit of HTML/CSS. I have inherited our Kentico system and now I have to work with it to the best of my ability. On things like this my ability falls short of the mark.
Reading your reply there, I get that there will need to be documents pathed to the web part ok...so, a page with images on or a specific type of document? Are there only certain doc's which can be referenced by the carousel? I can only id one content path field in the web part configuration dialogue.

Like I said before, I'd really appreciate someone taking the time to walk me through this...as I really don't know what the heck I'm looking at.

Kentico Support
Kentico Support
kentico_jurajo - 7/12/2012 3:46:05 AM

Hi,

You can use whatever document since the important thing are are the document attachments. So, you can have a document in the tree called lets say "carousel" and you will set the path to this document - in the carousel web part. then, you will attach the images to this document you want to be displayed by this web part.

I would recommend to install e.g. a local copy of the CMS and import the sample Corporate site - in this site you can see the examples and pre-defined things so you can take inspiration from here. There is also a whole Examples section where all the web parts are used and configured in some way so you can see how do they work and how to configure them.

Best regards,
Juraj Ondrus

chris.cole-positivepurchasing - 7/12/2012 4:43:41 AM

OK, that's helpful, thanks.

So the carousel is only usable with attachments (images or files), as it's name indicates, unless I get a custom transformation developed...ouch, that feels like a brick wall.

Kentico Support
Kentico Support
kentico_jurajo - 7/12/2012 10:52:21 PM

Hi,

That is true. You can take inspiration from it anyway and adjust the code or transformation to your need. We are unable to prepare things that will fit everybody's needs. Sometimes it is possible to prepare an universal solution, sometimes not.

Best regards,
Juraj Ondrus