Portal Engine Questions on portal engine and web parts.
Version 6.x > Portal Engine > Using An Existing Folder Structure as a Media Library View modes: 
scott_hancock-urmc.rochester - 6/28/2012 3:32:11 PM

Using An Existing Folder Structure as a Media Library
I'm migrating to Kentico and so I want to copy the media folder containing hundreds of images and documents onto the Kentico server and use it as a media library. I'm not able to to get it to work. Here is what I'm doing.

1. Copy the folder structure to ~/Media
It has a structure like this:
~/MyMedia/Dept1/
~/MyMedia/Dept2/
2. In site manager set Media Libraries Folder to "/"
3. In site manager uncheck "Use site-specific subfolders for custom media libraries folder".
4. In CMS Desk create a new media library called "My Library" and set it's folder name to "Media".

I would expect the system to use the existing ~/Media folder and show all the folders and images below it.
Instead it creates the folder ~/<Site Name>/media/MyMedia.

Is there anyway to get this to work the way I want? Why does it still create the folder <site name> if I've unchecked "Use site-specific subfolders"? Does the media folder have to be created? If so why?

Thanks,
Scott

Kentico Developer
Kentico Developer
kentico_ivanat - 7/1/2012 8:40:39 PM

RE:Using An Existing Folder Structure as a Media Library
Hi,

yes, it should work this way. I will inform our developers because this seems to be a bug in the system. I am sorry for inconvenience. We will try to fix it until Friday in case it is really a bug.

Workaround:

In the Site Manager configure folder: /media (instead of /)
When you create new library use foldre name: mymedia

Now you should see your images.

Best regards,
Ivana Tomanickova

Kentico Developer
Kentico Developer
kentico_ivanat - 7/5/2012 2:18:32 PM

Hi,

finally it was not bug in the system, according to the description of the field the folder should be created under site name folder.

But there was a bug in documentation, where default folder is not described correctly.

Best regards,
Ivana Tomanickova

scott_hancock-urmc.rochester - 7/5/2012 3:29:43 PM

The checkbox "Use site-specific subfolders for custom media libraries folder" doesn't seem to do anything. Unchecked or unchecked I still get:

/media/<sitename>/MyMedia/

If I uncheck the box I would expect to get:

/media/MyMedia/

If not, what does checking the box do?

Thanks,
Scott

Kentico Support
Kentico Support
kentico_jurajo - 7/5/2012 3:42:50 PM

Hi,

You need to specify the above setting "Media libraries folder". Please, hold the mouse over it to get the tool tip - you can see if it is empty, the site name is always used. So, you need to specify some e.g. global media libraries folder where the particular library folders will be placed.

Best regards,
Juraj Ondrus

scott_hancock-urmc.rochester - 7/6/2012 8:52:10 AM

I am specifying it. Here are the steps I followed:

1. In site manager set Media Libraries Folder to "~/media"
3. In site manager uncheck "Use site-specific subfolders for custom media libraries folder".
4. In CMS Desk create a new media library called "My Library" and set it's folder name to "MyMedia".

It creates the folders: ~/media/<Site Name>/MyMedia/ .

I expected it to create ~/media/MyMedia/

Scott

Kentico Support
Kentico Support
kentico_jurajo - 7/6/2012 3:19:39 PM

Hi,

What is the exact version number you are using? I am using v6 with lates hotfix.

It is working for me just as you are expecting. I have the same settings and the folder structure is:

~/<mediaLibrariesFolder>/<libraryfolder>

The site name folder is not added in my CMS which is as it should be.

Best regards,
Juraj Ondrus

scott_hancock-urmc.rochester - 7/10/2012 7:45:25 AM

Hi,

I'm running 6.0.36.

Scott

Kentico Support
Kentico Support
kentico_jurajo - 7/10/2012 9:08:40 AM

Hi,

Thank you :-)

I am using the version with latest hotfix and it is working just fine for me - anyway, it worked fine also before hotfixing the CMS. Would it be possible to grant us with access to the CMS and file system?
What are the exact steps - please prodive us with a step by step description how to reproduce the issue.

Best regards,
Juraj Ondrus

scott_hancock-urmc.rochester - 7/10/2012 1:17:47 PM

Hi,

I figured it out. I was setting the "Use site-specific subfolders for custom media libraries folder" setting at the global level but the "Inherit from global settings" was not checked for the site. If that's not the default I don't know how it would have been changed on all of my servers. From now on I'll have to remember to check that.

Thanks for your help,

Scott

Kentico Support
Kentico Support
kentico_jurajo - 7/11/2012 2:18:42 AM

Hi,

Aaaarghhh, I forgot about this common mistake - setting the settings on a global level and not on site specific level. This setting is not inherited by default.

Best regards,
Juraj Ondrus