Upgrades Questions on upgrading to version 5.x.
Version 5.x > Upgrades > Unknown server tag after upgade View modes: 
Aon_Vlado - 6/1/2011 9:59:23 PM

Unknown server tag after upgade
After upgrading from 5.5 to 5.5R2 my VS2010 project does not compile anymore. The errors are:
Error	108	Circular file references are not allowed.	D:\EXB_Projects\EXB\WebSites\KenticoPOC\CMSAdminControls\UI\PageElements\HeaderActions.ascx	3	
Error 109 Unknown server tag 'cms:Help'. D:\EXB_Projects\EXB\WebSites\KenticoPOC\CMSAdminControls\UI\PageElements\HeaderActions.ascx 13
Error 110 Circular file references are not allowed. D:\EXB_Projects\EXB\WebSites\KenticoPOC\CMSAdminControls\UI\PageElements\PageTitle.ascx 2
Error 111 Unknown server tag 'cms:Help'. D:\EXB_Projects\EXB\WebSites\KenticoPOC\CMSAdminControls\UI\PageElements\PageTitle.ascx 16
Error 112 Unknown server tag 'cms:Help'. D:\EXB_Projects\EXB\WebSites\KenticoPOC\CMSAdminControls\UI\PageElements\PageTitle.ascx 28
Error 113 Unknown server tag 'cms:Help'. D:\EXB_Projects\EXB\WebSites\KenticoPOC\CMSAdminControls\Categories\MultipleCategoriesSelector.ascx 37

The Help.ascx compiles OK but when I compile control PageTitle.ascx separately there are different errors there:
Error	105	The file 'src' is not a valid here because it doesn't expose a type.	D:\EXB_Projects\EXB\WebSites\KenticoPOC\CMSAdminControls\UI\PageElements\PageTitle.ascx	2	
Error 106 Unknown server tag 'cms:Help'. D:\EXB_Projects\EXB\WebSites\KenticoPOC\CMSAdminControls\UI\PageElements\PageTitle.ascx 16
Error 107 Unknown server tag 'cms:Help'. D:\EXB_Projects\EXB\WebSites\KenticoPOC\CMSAdminControls\UI\PageElements\PageTitle.ascx 28

Similar errors are in HeaderActions.ascx and MultipleCategoriesSelector.ascx.

I copied Help.ascx form a clean 5.5 R2 installation but it did not help. I tried the web.config from upgrade package as well as from 5.5R2 installation without any modifications…. - no remedy.

I am using Windows XP and .NET 4.0.

Any suggestions, please?

Thanks,
Vlado

Kentico Developer
Kentico Developer
kentico_ondrejv - 6/2/2011 4:23:22 AM

RE:Unknown server tag after upgade
Hello,

Could you please confirm you have followed the upgrade instructions closely?

Moreover, are you using any custom controls? It's possible you'll need to re-order them in the project folder.

On the other hand, you can use the following workaround which would work as well: Errors in the project forum post.

Best regards
Ondrej Vasil

Aon_Vlado - 6/2/2011 9:20:40 AM

Yes, I went step by step according the instructions.
The HeaderActions.ascx is original Kentico control and has the Help control registered as:
<%@ Register src="~/CMSAdminControls/UI/PageElements/Help.ascx" tagname="Help" tagprefix="cms" %>

And the web.config has it, too:
<add tagPrefix="cms" namespace="CMS.Controls" assembly="CMS.Controls"/>

All is coming from Kentico installation.
I am using my own user controls but they do not utilize Help.ascx nor HeaderActions.ascx. How do I reorder my files?

Thanks,
Vlado

Kentico Consulting
Kentico Consulting
kentico_borisp - 6/2/2011 9:37:35 AM

Hello,

The "circular references" issue is a common .NET error and not Kentico specific. Could you please check the following articles?

Article 1, Article 2, Article 3

The second issue "CMS:Help namespace" may be connected to the first one. Please try to solve the firs one and see if the second resolves also. Please also double check if:

1) You are using the correct dll files.
2) You are using the correct .NET versions of the dll files.
3) You've copied over the all and the correct dll files (and files) from the hotfix if you applied one.

I've checked with our developers and they said that there has been a similar issue with our build, but they were able to reproduce it only on a pre-compiled site. Anyway, this is a general Visual Studio issue and we are regrettably not able to create a workaround for this problem. The only two ways how to solve this are mentioned in the links which I mentioned earlier.

Best regards,
Boris Pocatko

Aon_Vlado - 6/3/2011 10:38:10 AM

I restored it back to the previous version (5.5) and the application runs much, much, much (3x) faster now.

Aon_Vlado - 6/3/2011 10:39:22 AM

I forgot: I tried the solutions above with no success.

Kentico Developer
Kentico Developer
kentico_ivanat - 6/5/2011 7:07:30 AM

Hi,

Could you please try following simple workaround?

Download latest version of Kentico CMS 5.5 R2 from our web site, install it and then connect the fresh Kentico CMS project folder to your existing 5.5 database (upgraded). Then you can add your changes to the new (fresh) project folder and compilation should be successful.

Best regards,
Ivana Tomanickova

Aon_Vlado - 6/6/2011 9:45:14 PM

Sorry, I already put back the backup from before upgrade. I will rather wait for version 6.0 and recreate the site manually.

Aon_Vlado - 1/22/2013 7:57:43 AM

The resolution for others:

The problem was that we did not run the upgrading program on the server but just copied files from another server without deleting all files from target server first. It left old 5.5 files there which caused that VS did not compile.

Vlado

Kentico Customer Success
Kentico Customer Success
kentico_martind2 - 1/22/2013 8:07:58 AM

Hi Vlado,

Thanks for the update, we really appreciate this!

Best regards,
Martin Danko