Site structure
Version 5.x > Site structure > External Users View modes: 
ZachW - 7/26/2011 10:36:45 AM

External Users
I know Kentico has all the built in web parts to register/login users who will be entering Kentico to edit content. However, my company wants to allow public external users to register so that they can sign up for certain alerts and use certain parts of our site. These users would NEVER be logging into CMSDesk or CMSSiteManager. Is it best practice to use the Kentico built in controls for this type of situation and just give these users a role that can't access anything? I find it odd that there aren't separate modules for Kentico users VS public users.

kentico_michal - 7/27/2011 6:16:34 AM

RE:External Users
Hello,

Standard users cannot access CMS Desk (Site manager) by default. Only users who are either editors (property Is editor) or administrators (property Is global administrator) are allowed to access CMS interface.

Moreover, Logon web parts in Kentico CMS does not set the Is editor (or Is global administrator) property to true while user‘s registration. So, you can use them for this type of situation.

For more information I would like to point you to the following article: User management

Best regards,
Michal Legen

batchahaja-socpa.org - 2/19/2013 1:59:19 AM

Hi we are using the kentico login web part for user login. When public user registered on our site he is marked as external user, and the external user is not able to login to the site.

Kentico Consulting
Kentico Consulting
richards@kentico.com - 2/19/2013 2:42:00 AM

Hello,

could you check please your registration form web part properties? Are you assigning your users to your site correct? Or are you using custom registration form? Please take a look at this http://devnet.kentico.com/docs/devguide/index.html?available_registration_web_parts.htm

If you are not able to find out the solution, could you please send us a ticket so we can investigate this further?

Best regards,
Richard Sustek