Installation and deployment Questions on installation, system configuration and deployment to the live server.
Version 5.x > Installation and deployment > [PageInfoProvider.GetDataForPageInfo]: Site name '' not found. View modes: 
sammy - 1/9/2014 3:18:32 PM

[PageInfoProvider.GetDataForPageInfo]: Site name '' not found.
Hi,
I recently copied our production kentico site to my laptop for development.

I simply zipped up the DB and files, and restored locally. When I try to go the the home page, I see the following error:
[PageInfoProvider.GetDataForPageInfo]: Site name '' not found.
Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Exception: [PageInfoProvider.GetDataForPageInfo]: Site name '' not found.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[Exception: [PageInfoProvider.GetDataForPageInfo]: Site name '' not found.]
CMS.PortalEngine.PageInfoProvider.GetDataForPageInfo(String siteName, String aliasPath, String cultureCode, String urlPath, Int32 nodeId, Boolean combineWithDefaultCulture, GeneralConnection conn) +313
CMS.PortalEngine.PageInfoProvider.GetPageInfo(String siteName, String aliasPath, String cultureCode, String urlPath, Int32 nodeId, Boolean combineWithDefaultCulture, GeneralConnection conn) +474
CMS.PortalEngine.PageInfoProvider.GetPageInfo(String siteName, String aliasPath, String cultureCode, String urlPath, Boolean combineWithDefaultCulture, GeneralConnection conn) +53
CMS.Controls.CMSPageManager.LoadContent(Boolean loadRegions) +271
CMS.Controls.CMSPageManager.CMSPageManager_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) +61
System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +99
System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +50
System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +141
System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +141
System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +627

When I go inside of Site Manager, I can see my site. However, as I'm navigating around, I see lots of these errors:
[UniSelector]: Object type 'cms.site' not found.

Any idea how I can solve this? My googlefoo is not working too strong today.

Thanks!

Kentico Legend
Kentico Legend
Brenden Kehren - 1/9/2014 7:34:31 PM

RE:[PageInfoProvider.GetDataForPageInfo]: Site name '' not found.
Have you ensured your database connection is correct? How about permissions on the server? Does the user running IIS or your App Pool have permissions within the directory the website is in (prob not the issue but worth a check). What OS are you running on your laptop? Are you sure you have all the DLL's and files?

sammy - 1/10/2014 8:39:35 AM

Hi,
Thanks for your time and reply.

Sorry, I should have added all that info in my original post.

Win 2008. The SQL Connection is correct. In fact, the left hand tree in CMSDesk is being populated.

The site compiles correctly under VS2010. In fact, to be sure, I did a sanity check, and I moved one of the dlls CMS dlls out of the /bin directory, and then the site did not compile. I moved the dll back to the /bin directory, and it did compile.

When I try to browse the front end site, all i see is
[PageInfoProvider.GetDataForPageInfo]: Site name '' not found

As I'm moving around in CMSDesk and Site Manager, you can tell that certain webparts are throwing an exception about cms.site not defined.

Is there somehow I can double check that the site name is running correctly?

One additional thing I tried. The site was running at http://localhost/, so, i added a host entry to www.CoimanyName.com (where companyname.com is the real domain name), and I mapped it to 127.0.0.1. This way, the domain name was the same as production (granted, I could no longer go to the production website because of that). However, that did not seem to make a difference.

Thanks again for your time.

sammy - 1/10/2014 8:40:13 AM

Oh, also, if there is some place I can upload some screenshots too, I'll take some and post them.

Thanks!

kentico_edwardh - 1/10/2014 7:21:28 PM

Hello,

Can you please check the following items:

1 – Query the CMS_Site table for your given site. Do you have a record in your database with a valid SiteName?
SELECT SiteID ,SiteName, SiteDisplayName, SiteGUID FROM CMS_Site

2 – Query the CMS_Class table for the cms.site object. Are any results returned?
SELECT ClassID, ClassDisplayName, ClassName, ClassIsCoupledClass, ClassXmlSchema, ClassFormDefinition, ClassGUID FROM CMS_Class where classname = 'cms.site'

You can also check the Regional and Language Options for your server. This error could be caused by the ‘Location’ of the regional settings on the server being changed a different location.

Best Regards,
Edward Hillard

sammy - 1/14/2014 1:25:59 PM

anyone have any other suggestions? I feel like I'm missing something obvious.

I pulled up SQL Profiler, to see if there were any sql errors, and everything looks good. Records were being returned for everything.

Thanks!

Kentico Legend
Kentico Legend
Brenden Kehren - 1/10/2014 7:59:02 PM

Do you have anything in your production server IIS setup that is doing any special binding? Setting up in your local environment, you shouldn't need to modify your host file. In fact, I steer away from that because it can cause more problems than it's worth.

No matter what URL you are using you should be able to log into the CMSSiteManager without issue.

You might do a few simple queries and report back. Also you can use a service like tinypic.com and upload a screenshot and share it on here by clicking the image icon and placing the URL in.

First, check the event log of your local computer for asp.net errors, they might give you more detail that the simple page error.

Second, if you can get into the SiteManager, check the event log. If not, run this:
SELECT TOP 1000 *
FROM CMS_EventLog
ORDER BY EventTime DESC
You might also run:
SELECT *
FROM CMS_Site
To see your site info. Have you changed the site code name lately? If so this could cause the problems you're experiencing. For instance if your site code name was "MySite" and you simply changed it to "OurSite", if there are any items that are specifically looking for the code name "MySite" you will get no results. If there is any custom code written specifically looking for "MySite" you might get errors or no results.

sammy - 1/11/2014 11:45:18 AM

Thanks a bunch for all your help. For some reason, now I'm getting a blank home page (no idea what or how that happened).

here are a bunch of screnshots.
Thanks!

Here is the home page:
User image

Here is site manager:
User image

Here is CMS desk
User image

Event log:
User image

domain alias
User image

query results
User image

User image

User image

sammy - 1/11/2014 11:46:57 AM

Home page:
User image

Kentico Legend
Kentico Legend
Brenden Kehren - 1/15/2014 6:54:44 AM

Did you happen to do any zipping or unzipping of your website prior to placing it on your computer? Sometimes Windows will "block" unzipped DLLs and you have to unblock them. This might be the case

sammy - 1/15/2014 7:41:29 AM

Thanks for the reply.

No, sorry didn't do any of it.

This is really strange. The data is there. I can see it in CMS desk. But, it's not being served up on the public facing side. And also, there are this little "could not create cms.site" errors all over.

Really frustrating.

Thanks again for the time. I'm sure it will get resolved, and it will be something goofy. right now, it has everyone stumped.

kentico_edwardh - 1/15/2014 2:04:40 PM

Hello,

I believe the root cause will have something to do with the viewstate not being loaded correctly or not being allowed to load, since the Sitename is loaded directly from the viewstate. Can you please check your web.config file to ensure you aren’t disabling the viewstate –
<system.web>
<pages enableViewState="false" />

Best Regards,
Edward Hillard

sammy - 1/15/2014 3:28:53 PM

Thanks for the reply.

Viewstate isn't even referenced in the web.config.

Here the pages tag:
<pages validateRequest="false">

I just know it has to be something simple, and goofy.

sammy - 1/24/2014 7:42:23 AM

I think I finally resolved this, after much nashing of teeth. ;-)

I found an obscure error relating to an Identity dll, and then off to a MS kb article about how MS did something to newer versions.

So, on a hunch, I copied the website to a win7 VM. I'm now able to pull up the website.

Sorry for wasting everyone's time.

Thanks a bunch for the help. With any luck, this problem is over.

*whew*