Portal Engine Questions on portal engine and web parts.
Version 5.x > Portal Engine > Media libraries path View modes: 
sm15455-gmail - 5/3/2010 11:07:40 AM

Media libraries path
Hi all,

I have configured kentico to store media libraries files on file system. I have configure the base path for media libraries to d:\files (In the global settings).

I have a site named test and I try to add a document to a folder named images. as far as I know, this file should be saved in d:\files\test\images\ folder. Unfortunately, this doesn't happen because the sitename is ignored and file are saved in d:\files\images\.

As you understand this leads to a mess. Is this a bug, or if I use file system I have to set the path for each site?

Thanks in advance
Stefano

Kentico Consulting
Kentico Consulting
kentico_mirekr - 5/3/2010 2:06:13 PM

RE:Media libraries path
Hi,

The behavior is correct. You can find necessary information in following documentation:

http://devnet.kentico.com/docs/devguide/defining_custom_ml_folder.htm

The default location of all libraries of a particular site is ~/<sitename>/media. You can customize the location by entering a path in Site Manager -> Settings -> Media libraries -> Media libraries folder.

You can enter the folder location in the following formats:

• physical path: e.g. c:\Libraries
• virtual path: e.g. ~/Libraries
• UNC path: e.g. \\<server name>\Libraries

Media library module is not adding site name into the path if you are using custom medial library folder location and neither is it described in our documentation. You can set different the media library folder for each web site or you can store all files into the same location. This is up to you.

Best regards,
Miroslav Remias.

sm15455-gmail - 5/4/2010 3:06:10 AM

Thanks,

Since it was not stated in the documentation I was wondering if I was missing something. I suggest you to add it ;).

Byez
Stefano

Kentico Consulting
Kentico Consulting
kentico_mirekr - 5/5/2010 7:31:58 AM

Hi,

In some of the next Kentico CMS versions (probably 6.x) it will be possible to store files for different web sites to one shared folder. There will be same sort of checkbox (option) telling whether to create site folder under the shared folder, so files will be organized in web site folders when using shared folder for files.

However, thank you for your requirement we will consider it.

Best regards,
Miroslav Remias.