Portal Engine Questions on portal engine and web parts.
Version 5.x > Portal Engine > Ignoring Items in Root Master in Search View modes: 
Armysniper89 - 4/7/2011 10:53:58 PM

Ignoring Items in Root Master in Search
In my root master of my site is the navigation of the site which uses the CSS Menu. One of the items in the CSS menu contains the word "success'. My current index includes all document types from the root on. How can I exclude the root itself or the menus and navigation items in the master page such as footer link names from being indexed?

Kentico Support
Kentico Support
kentico_zdenekc - 4/12/2011 2:21:04 PM

RE:Ignoring Items in Root Master in Search
Hi,

Could you please be more specific about your aim? Do you want to exclude selected documents that are also listed by another navigation webpart?
Can we see it somewhere?

You could either specify just "cms.menuitem" document type to avoid selecting root... however, which path expression are you using?
On the level of the listmenu webpart you can also use WHERE condition to exclude specific documents...
Then there's an option to disable "show in navigation" in Properties > Menu for items that should not be in menus...

Regards,
Zdenek

Kentico Support
Kentico Support
kentico_zdenekc - 4/12/2011 2:53:15 PM

Well, I see now... it's not about listmenu, it's about search...

Are you using Smart search? You could then set excluded content or specify just some document types as allowed content in the Index definition (Site manager -> Administration -> Smart search)..

Then it's possible to specify document type and path filtering in (Smart) seach results webpart.

You could maybe also use search condition like Miro wrote in http://devnet.kentico.com/Forums.aspx?forumid=45&threadid=14283

Would this help?

--Zdenek

Armysniper89 - 4/12/2011 4:53:38 PM

I am trying to hide the root of the site. It shows up in searches because words in the "navigation" show up. On my site, if you search for "success" you will see what I am talking about. Using the idea of what Miro showed is a good idea except that I have EVERYTHING turned off for "show in navigation" except, the 6 main menu "questions". Check out www.givesmart.org and search for "success". Also, I am trying to not have it search on words in my footer or in the top of the page in the root master. Ideally if I search, it should only search the "body" of content.

Armysniper89 - 4/12/2011 4:58:31 PM

Just to give a little more detail, my search results page contains a "Search Dialog Web part" and a separate "Search Results" web part that I cloned to display a custom "pagination" piece at the bottom. And it has a customized search results transformation. But it is using the Smart Search and searching for things that appear as text in the root master page show up in the results.

Kentico Support
Kentico Support
kentico_zdenekc - 4/13/2011 8:53:37 AM

Hi,

Thanks for info, unfortunatelly I'm still missing the incorrect search result... could you please specify which item in search results after using "success" is actually the root? I'm sorry but I couldn't find it..

Thanks
--Zdenek

Armysniper89 - 4/13/2011 8:41:16 PM

It appears that my index changes took a while to work but they did. Looks like I am good to go. :)