Portal Engine Questions on portal engine and web parts.
Version 5.x > Portal Engine > Starting with Templates and Moving to Scratch View modes: 
Armysniper89 - 5/13/2011 9:54:07 AM

Starting with Templates and Moving to Scratch
I am building a new site but we wont have a design ready for it for a few months. I want to have the site up and running so I can do things such as configure it and get some data migrated over from our old site.

If I were to use the built in templates of Kentico for visual purposes and then remove them when our design comes in, how much work is it? I am thinking it would be just switching CSS and templates used, but I wanted to make sure before I run down this path.

Armysniper89 - 5/16/2011 1:22:53 PM

RE:Starting with Templates and Moving to Scratch
Nobody? :)

Kentico Support
Kentico Support
kentico_radekm - 5/18/2011 2:58:51 AM

RE:Starting with Templates and Moving to Scratch
Hello.

Yes, CSS stylesheet can be switched anytime and it is completely separated from content itself, also page templates can be changed anytime. It is usual approach that you are adding or changing page templates during site´s live, so it will not harm you data.

In general, it depends on what exactly you want to configure before you build your main site, since some data can be bound to page templates (e.g. web part properties or content of some editable web parts), some objects are site-related, so they can be deleted when you delete your testing site, and so on. If you can clarify your goal and describe particular scenario, we can provide more accurate answer. Thank you.

Best Regards,
Radek Macalik