Portal Engine Questions on portal engine and web parts.
Version 5.x > Portal Engine > Hierarchy View modes: 
bsatish417-gmail - 5/27/2011 1:11:13 PM

Hierarchy
Hi ,

We have dealership hierarchy .

It has regions , under regions they have zones , under zones they have sections and so on..

Each level of hierarchy will have users ,

will there be a way it can be represented in Kentico ?

I can only see the limitation of User & Roles , but not the hierarchy

Correct me if i am wrong

Thanks
Satish

Kentico Support
Kentico Support
kentico_radekm - 5/31/2011 1:36:48 AM

RE:Hierarchy
Hello.

We prepare some hierarchical objects support within an upcoming version 6.0 (e.g. hierarchical categories), regrettably not for user / roles objects. In other words, there will be still a flat structure. So the only solution is to use current functionality (http://devnet.kentico.com/docs/devguide/security_model.htm), or do some customization. However, this depends on particular scenario you want to achieve, so we would need further clarification or particular example of use to provide a better suggestion. Thank you.

Best Regards,
Radek Macalik

bsatish417-gmail - 6/9/2011 2:10:36 PM

HI ,

You can imagine this as N level Self Recursive Hierarchy in a same table

With id & parentid as columns

& parentid refers to id column in the table ( which shows its parent)

we have the dealers in the Above mentioned HIerarchy &

each dealer will have users

& each user will have different roles.

Hope this helps you to understand it.

Thanks
Satish

lancetek - 6/9/2011 5:45:54 PM

I think you could do this by simply adding another field to the User object, let's use 'parentId'. Then you populate this with the parentId...

Then a user could have a manager as the parent which could have the dealership as his parent who could have the dealer region as his parent, etc.

Of course you may need to do custom queries to pull out data in your hierarchal structure and display it sensibly - but Kentico is very flexible in that regard.

By 'roles' Kentico means 'sets of permissions', so if by 'roles' you mean 'dealer', 'salesman', etc, then just add another field to the User object, call it 'userRole' and populate as you like.

To add these fields, use the site manager, go to Development, then 'system tables' and add another field to either the User or the User-settings 'classes'. Kentico makes this *easy*!

Cheers,
Lance

Kentico Support
Kentico Support
kentico_radekm - 6/13/2011 12:43:44 AM

Hello.

Thank you for clarification. In this case, if you don´t want to wait until 6.0 is released, you can try approach suggested by Lancetek. Let me just remind some security / permissions API, which could come in handy as well: http://devnet.kentico.com/docs/devguide/checking_user_permissions.htm. Thank you.

Best Regards,
Radek Macalik