Portal Engine Questions on portal engine and web parts.
Version 5.x > Portal Engine > Dynamic Fields - Creating new document types View modes: 
lior - 6/26/2011 1:09:15 AM

Dynamic Fields - Creating new document types
Is there any way I can create a field to a document type which is dynamic, like multiple numbers, strings which behave like adding a "Document Attachments" inside the form part. Meaning I can add as many as I want, and they appear as separate elements I can delete move and edit them.
Of course I can make a field input a string and separate with commas, but I'd like this to be as user friendly as possible for editors.

Thanks.

kentico_michal - 6/26/2011 5:19:33 AM

RE:Dynamic Fields - Creating new document types
Hello,

I would recommend creating a custom form control according to your needs. For more information I would like to point you to the following section of Developer’s guide: Developing form controls.

Best regards,
Michal Legen

lancetek - 6/26/2011 11:31:13 AM

RE:Dynamic Fields - Creating new document types
If you add an attribute to the document type of type 'text' and then select 'Multiple Choice' for field type, you get a field that Kentico will display using tickboxes. Then your editors can choose any combination of values to populate the field.

Of course you can overide the default behavior of using tickboxes and display it using whatever metaphors you'd like.

FYI internally in the Kentico db the values are stored as a delimited string, but the Kentico backoffice does all the work of splitting and joining the strings behind the scenes.

Lance