Portal Engine Questions on portal engine and web parts.
Version 5.x > Portal Engine > Adding custom fields for Groups View modes: 
dlents-coleyfederal - 8/11/2011 12:07:47 PM

Adding custom fields for Groups
Is there a way I can easily add custom fields to my Groups? There is additional information I would like to capture when creating / registering a new group (I guess it doesn't necessarily need to be captured at registration, but would like to have additional information specific to that group stored -- ie. budget, additional text fields, dates, etc). This information would also change throughout the life-cycle of the group and would need to be displayed to group members.

Is there a way to do this without modifying a significant amount of source code? If not, what files would I need to look at changing and what would be the best practice in doing so?

Kentico Developer
Kentico Developer
kentico_helenag - 8/12/2011 6:18:08 AM

RE:Adding custom fields for Groups
Hello,

you can add the new fields in Site manager -> Development -> System tables -> edit Group -> Fields. Then you would need to add the fields to controls/web parts where you need the custom functionality to see and edit the fields.

You can find the location of web part's code in Site manager -> Development -> Web parts -> edit -> General -> File name (a location inside the ~/CMSWebParts folder in the web site folder).

Best regards,
Helena Grulichova