Portal Engine Questions on portal engine and web parts.
Version 5.x > Portal Engine > Question on Implimenting a Website Directory in Kentico View modes: 
JamesB - 8/10/2011 1:53:03 AM

Question on Implimenting a Website Directory in Kentico

I want to add a "Suppliers" Directory to my golf website (eg golf coaches, golf shops etc). This would involve:

- Suppliers sorted by location and category
- Website members allowed to rate and comment on suppliers
- Charging suppliers for listings / extended/promoted listings

I can't find a module for this in Kentico - what would people suggest I do to accomplish this ?

Kentico Developer
Kentico Developer
kentico_ivanat - 8/10/2011 3:01:36 AM

RE:Question on Implimenting a Website Directory in Kentico
Hi,

you could create a document type that will represent suppliers. Then you could create documents in the content tree and assign categories to documents. Using a repeater web part you can filter documents according to your needs.

To allow members rate and comment suppliers you could use a message board web part. You can insert one web part to some parent document and the web part will be visible on all child, but comments will be unique for each page. They are connected with document (page). Rating is a part of this web part.

As for your third requirement - could you please provide more details, maybe some example?

Thank you

Best regards,
Ivana Tomanikova

JamesB - 8/10/2011 3:45:11 AM

Hi,

Thanks for you reply.

With regard to the last part: On most directories there will be "upgrade" options - eg you may have a basic listing for free, and an advanced listing with logo, and website link for an additional free.

From you comments I can see you could possibly build a directory system - but I am wondering if it would be better use an .NET directory script like http://www.marketgrabber.com/Directory-Software.aspx which would have most of this functionality already built, then integrate this with Kentico, or build from scratch using Kentico controls.

I'm suprised there's not a module for this type of functionality already built actually as its a very common thing on many websites.

Thanks

Kentico Developer
Kentico Developer
kentico_ivanat - 8/15/2011 6:47:25 AM

Hi,

the first option is to implement a third party module as you said.

In Kentico you could use a smart search module to achieve your goal. The smart search web part you could extend with smart search filter (or several filters). More information you can find in documentation:
Using smart seach filters

To create different accounts supporting searching you could easily hide/display filters according to the users roles, i.e. set Visibility property of filter web part to true or false according to the current user role. For this you could create a custom macro that would return value true or false.

Best regards,
Ivana Tomanickova