Portal Engine Questions on portal engine and web parts.
Version 5.x > Portal Engine > Multi-lingual and e-commerce View modes: 
Nicola - 12/8/2010 3:55:39 PM

Multi-lingual and e-commerce
Hi,

I'm setting up a site that is mutli-lingual and uses the e-commerce feature. I've noticed that when I create a content item and associate it to a product, all language versions of that item are associated with the same product. However each language version of the product needs to have a different ProductID. What is the best way of setting this up? Do I need to create separate content items and products for every language? Does the e-commerce not support multi-lingual in the same way as content items?

Thanks,
Nicola.

kentico_michal - 12/16/2010 9:05:28 AM

RE:Multi-lingual and e-commerce
Hi,

In general, documents in Kentico can be translated as it is described in our Developer´s guide, chapter Development -> Multilingual and international support.

E-commerce product is a little bit specific, since in current version we don´t support more language versions for product fields. Anyway, there is a very simple solution for this. Please find example for "Description" field (on Product -> General tab).

1. You can define new "Description" fields in COM_SKU system table in Site Manager -> Development -> System tables -> Ecommerce - SKU.
You can add new field for every culture version of description and named it like: Description_es-us, Description_cs-cz, Description_sk-sk, and so on.

2. Then, in transformation, you will show content of proper "Description" field via macro:
Eval("Description_" + CMS.CMSHelper.CMSContext.CurrentDocumentCulture)

Then every culture have its own description.

Best regards,
Michal Legen

Certified Developer v6
Certified Developer v6
Nortech - 2/11/2011 6:45:48 AM

Hi,

I have the same problem. Your suggestion does not work for me. The field name description_el-gr is not allowed since it contains the special character '-' .

I would like to propose another way to do this.

I am going to create an new form control which will contain a number of text boxes. Each text box will correspond to the available languages of the site. The control will format all text values in a localized text (e.g. {$=Hello|de-de=Hallo|it-it=Ciao$}) and return it to the caller. This value can then be stored to the SKUName field.

Please advice if I am on the right track.

Regards,
Ulysses Triantafillos

kentico_michal - 2/22/2011 3:06:40 AM

Hi,

Yes, this is also nice solution and possible way how to acomplish it. Thank you for letting us know about it.

Best regards,
Michal Legen

m.rutter - 10/4/2011 7:46:12 AM

Nortech wrote: I am going to create an new form control which will contain a number of text boxes ...

Hi Ulysses,
I have the same problem here. Did you creted the new form control? Could you share your solution?

Thank you.
Marcello

kentico_michal - 10/10/2011 12:15:49 AM

Hello,

You need to create a custom form control as it is described in the Developer’s guide: Developing form controls

It could contain a textbox for each culture:

<asp:TextBox runat="server" ID="en" ></asp:TextBox>
<asp:TextBox runat="server" ID="cz" ></asp:TextBox>

Then, you need to format entered values in a localization macro:

string localizationMacro = "{$=" + en.Text.Trim() + "|cs-cz=" + cz.Text.Trim() + "$}";

For more information about localization macros can be found here: Localization macros

Best regards,
Michal Legen