Design and CSS styles
Version 4.x > Design and CSS styles > Which is the best practice to implement multiple sub-sites View modes: 
m.rutter - 9/4/2009 4:26:41 AM

Which is the best practice to implement multiple sub-sites
Hi everybody,
I need to better understand which is the best approach to implement a single site splitted into many sub-sites.

Here is my case. I'm designing the company site for a customer of mine. The site should have istitutional content common to all sub-sites. Moreover many sub-sites must exists, one for each company's division, each with its own home-page and content.

The template for each home page is shared across the sites but the content not (for example text, menu items, CSS, logos etc. change for any sub-site).

I'm in doubt with two different solutions both of them starts with a shared installation of Kentico CMS in Portal Engine mode:

Sol.1
Each division has its own URL (division1.customer.com, division2.customer.com) therefore I must create a new site for each division. I'm not sure I can share a common master page/home page across sites.

Sol.2
I create a single site (www.customer.com). In Kentico CMS I create a subfolder for each division (/division1, /division2). In this way I should be able to create a single master page, single home page and single subpages templates each of them can read the content from the referred subfolder (using a data repeater with "{0}/logo.jpg", "{0}/style.css" and so on). I remember I read something like that on Kentico forum but I can't find the post anymore.

Finally, main site and sub-sites could have different languages/cultures.

Many thanks for any comment.

Regards,
MR

Kentico Support
Kentico Support
kentico_jurajo - 9/8/2009 7:59:08 AM

RE:Which is the best practice to implement multiple sub-sites
Hi,

Here you can find information about how to configure multiple web sites within one instance of Kentico CMS:
Separate domains
Single domain - in subfolders

It may be also helpful to know how to configure nested web sites and what are the possible complications. You can find it in this blog post.

When you will create multiple sites within one instance of Kentico CMS, you can assign the page template, web parts and other global objects to multiple sites. So these objects can be shared across the sites. But you need to be careful when editing for example the page templates, because the change will affect also all other sites and document which are using this template.

I would like to ask you if these web sites will run on your or on customer's server?

Best Regards,
Juraj Ondrus

m.rutter - 9/8/2009 8:20:53 AM

RE:Which is the best practice to implement multiple sub-sites
Hi Juraj, thank you for your answer.

I read and I know about how to configure multiple web sites within one instance of Kentico CMS; I'm going to read Martin's blog post: it seems interesting.

Web sites will be installed on licensed customer's server.

Thank you.
MR