New features Please use http://kentico.uservoice.com as the primary place to submit your suggestions and allow others to vote for your ideas!
Version 4.x > New features > Rating images View modes: 
Sophia - 5/11/2009 10:43:01 AM

Rating images
Is it possible to rate individual images in a gallery?

We have Image Galleries with files underneath (documents of type file) and on the properties tab the rating section displays N/A. Are ratings not allowed on files? If not, could someone suggest an alternative way to set up our image galleries so that it is possible to rate the individual images,

thanks, Sophia

Kentico Support
Kentico Support
kentico_jurajo - 5/13/2009 5:01:39 AM

RE:Rating images
Hi Sophia,

I am afraid but this is not possible since the CMS.File documents are usually displayed within other documents. So, one option is to create separate documents where you will display the images and rate this image document or to create custom web part/control, where you will ensure the rating of appropriate document - in this casne the CMS.File document.

On the Properties tab there is N/A displayed because the document has no ratings yet,

Best Regards,
Juraj Ondrus

Sophia - 5/13/2009 9:02:22 AM

Hi Juraj,
Thank you for your reply. I was wondering about creating a new document type that either has a field to upload the file to or a file could be attached to (in the same way that you can attach a file to the CMS.File document type).

Do you think this would work as well and are there any disadvantages of creating a new document type?

thanks for your help, Sophia

Kentico Support
Kentico Support
kentico_jurajo - 5/19/2009 4:40:12 AM

Hi,

This is also an option or workaround. You will create a document type with file upload field. This file will be attached to this document. Then, using the repeater you can display the list of these documents and also, in transformation you can display the attached file. So, when using selected item transformation, you will be redirected to particular document of this type and here can be placed the rating web part where the users can rate this image - in fact the document with attachment will be rated.

Best Regards,
Juraj Ondrus

Sophia - 5/19/2009 9:36:44 AM

Hi Juraj,
Thanks for your reply. The new document type works well and I've been able to rate the document that the image is attached to. I had to make a few changes so that the images would display correctly in the gallery and I'm still working on being able to select the image in a blog post but it's nearly there.

Thanks again,
Sophia