Installation and deployment Questions on installation, system configuration and deployment to the live server.
Version 4.x > Installation and deployment > Updating a live website View modes: 
patrick-dip.co.uk - 5/19/2009 9:08:15 AM

Updating a live website
We want to have a development server, and a live production server. Updates will be made to the live server content from the web interface, and at the same time development will be occuring on the development server. This will involve changing aspx pages, adding new ones, etc.

What is then the best way to integrate these changes into the live website? Of course, any new content that has been added to the live site in the mean time needs to be maintained. Therefore, if new content areas are added to a page, how can the page be updated on the live site with the current content being maintained?

Kentico Support
Kentico Support
kentico_jurajo - 5/20/2009 10:04:13 AM

RE:Updating a live website
Hi,

In this case you will need to mark all the changes on the live server and then when applying the changes from development, you need to be careful.

It would be better to make changes only on one environment. You can use content staging for example.

Best Regards,
Juraj Ondrus

rkrause-eeye - 10/25/2009 9:57:09 PM

I was wondering if there is a way to accomplish this without content staging? Unfortunately we own the Professional edition, which does not appear to have content staging. I will be deploying the site I've been developing on a development machine to a live server this week, however development will need to continue beyond deployment. We will have a form that allows users to register with our site. I'm assuming because of that I can't simply backup my development database and website and then restore it to the live site since the database on the live server will always be updated by people signing up on our site. Can you offer any advice on what to do? I worry about developing on the live server, because I've noticed, for instance, that if I am working on some new web part or something and I make a mistake, the build error is displayed when I go to the site. I'm using the Portal Template mode to build this site. Any advice on how to maintain a live site and development site without content staging (if possible) would be excellent! Thank you!

Kentico Developer
Kentico Developer
kentico_martind - 11/3/2009 9:02:12 AM

Hello,

Regrettably, there is no other built-in support for this but ContentStaging. You could use Import/Export to migrate objects from one server to another, but it doesn't support content synchronization. You may consider upgrading your license to higher edition that includes ContentStaging.

Best Regards,

Martin Dobsicek