Installation and deployment Questions on installation, system configuration and deployment to the live server.
Version 4.x > Installation and deployment > Development licensing issue View modes: 
foobar17554 - 3/3/2010 10:48:03 AM

Development licensing issue
I'm working with a client who has a Social Networking license. I'm able to do my development on my localhost machine with a free license, but if I want to serve the site for them to review on my staging server, the free license is insufficient.

The errors I get during import are:

ERROR:Error creating root of the site.
Exception: [LicenseVersionCheck] Requested page can not be displayed due to license limitations.
Stack trace: at CMS.LicenseProvider.LicenseHelper.GetAllAvailableKeys(FeatureEnum feature) at CMS.SiteProvider.UserInfoProvider.GetUserInfo(String userName, GeneralConnection conn) at CMS.SiteProvider.UserInfoProvider.GetUserInfo(String userName) at CMS.CMSHelper.CMSContext.get_GlobalPublicUser() at CMS.CMSHelper.CMSContext.GetCurrentUser(Boolean& loadUserData) at CMS.CMSHelper.CMSContext.get_CurrentUser() at CMS.CMSImportExport.ImportProvider.InitTreeProvider(SiteImportSettings settings) at CMS.CMSImportExport.ImportProvider.CreateSiteRoot(SiteImportSettings settings, TranslationHelper th)

ERROR:Error creating site skeleton.
Exception: [LicenseVersionCheck] Requested page can not be displayed due to license limitations.
Stack trace: at CMS.CMSImportExport.ImportProvider.CreateSiteRoot(SiteImportSettings settings, TranslationHelper th) at CMS.CMSImportExport.ImportProvider.CreateSiteSkeleton(SiteImportSettings settings, TranslationHelper th)

My question: Is there a way I can pare down the site so that I can run it with the free license? I only need to serve a couple of pages to show the client my updates.

Thanks.

Kentico Support
Kentico Support
kentico_zdenekc - 3/3/2010 11:43:51 AM

RE:Development licensing issue
Hi,

as a developer of a client with paid license, you are entitled to use development/staging license keys (time unlimited and of the same license edition) for free.
In this case please either contact the license owner, so they can send us an email to support (at) kentico.com.

You can also write us an email personally, in this case please include your client's contact info so we can assign your contact with them.

The license key for production domain also supports localhost and 127.0.0.1, so this could be used for local development purposes.

As for the import errors...they point to some possible inconsistence in target DB.
Have you tried to import this package into fresh DB (instance)? Please also try to unselect "Import tasks" setting in Objects selection phase.

Regards,
Zdenek C.