Portal Engine Questions on portal engine and web parts.
Version 4.x > Portal Engine > RSS feeds View modes: 
sasdaman - 4/21/2009 7:32:13 PM

RSS feeds
I wish to insert this code into my header so I can include a RSS feed icon within the address bar for bookmarking in Firefox, Opera, IE etc

The code required is:

<link href="rss.xml" type="application/rss+xml" rel="alternate" title="Example RSS" />

however my rss url using the default rss feed is http://www.domain.com/CMSPages/BlogRss.aspx?aliaspath=/Blog which is created dynamically in Kentico. Is there anyway I can have a fixed URL such as /blog/rss.xml which I can then use in my head XHTML? Maybe an alias document name?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Sahus Pilwal

sasdaman - 4/22/2009 8:46:46 AM

RE:RSS feeds
On another note after downloading the RSS feed into my Outlook I notice that I only see the "view article" link. View source of the RSS feed shows that the desciption tag is not populated/rendered with any value. Looking at the Kentico CMS devnet RSS they have managed to insert content into this field thus displaying on each of the posts.

Is it possible to insert blog content into the description field in the rss data shown below:
<item> 
<guid isPermaLink="true"><![CDATA[http://adserver:8083/Blogs/My-blog-1/April-2009/what-is-google.aspx]]></guid>
<title><![CDATA[what is google]]></title>
<description></description>
<pubDate>Tue, 21 Apr 2009 18:28:12 GMT</pubDate>
<link><![CDATA[http://adserver:8083/Blogs/My-blog-1/April-2009/what-is-google.aspx]]></link>
</item>

I guess the change needs to be made to the /CMSPages/BlogRss.aspx page but not sure what is required to render the blog content into the feed.

Kind regards,

Sahus Pilwal

sasdaman - 4/27/2009 9:42:09 AM

Hi Everyone,

Anybody have a suggestion for inserting the main blog text into the RSS feed description field detailed above. This will help so people can view the blog article content when they utilise the feed in any given reader. I'm also using twitterfeed to feed my blog to twitter. Currently it only uploads the URL of the blog but not the blog description.

Many thanks,

Sahus Pilwal

Kentico Developer
Kentico Developer
kentico_ondrejv - 4/29/2009 9:11:43 AM

Hello,

You can insert description text by modifying appropriate repeater transformation, which is used for filling up xml file in the BlogRss.aspx file.

Please go to: 'Site Manager -> Development -> Document types -> Blog Post -> Transformations' and edit RssItem transformation.

You can insert e.g: <%# Eval("BlogPostSummary") %> to fill up your description element.

Best regards
Ondrej Vasil

Kentico Developer
Kentico Developer
kentico_martind - 4/29/2009 7:20:06 AM

Hi Sahus,

Unfortunately, you can't use alias document name for BlogRss.aspx page. You could eventually put custom code for redirection into Application_BeginRequest method in ~\App_Code\Global.asax.cs file.

Best Regards,

Martin Dobsicek