Portal Engine Questions on portal engine and web parts.
Version 4.x > Portal Engine > Problem with Web analytics View modes: 
marko-softing - 3/6/2009 3:20:34 AM

Problem with Web analytics
Hello,

I have a problem with web analyitics, i want to count news visits. So i enabled web analyitcs and on my local PC(devlopment) everything work fine, but when i export the site to the server and work on the site Kentico create the logs for every visit, but don't store it to the database. So i have emty database and over 50 log files.

The sceduler for web analytics is default by 1 minute.

Please help

Kentico Support
Kentico Support
kentico_zdenekc - 3/10/2009 12:58:56 PM

RE:Problem with Web analytics
Hi Marko,

could you confirm the scheduled task (analytics log processing) runs ok? Please check global event.log (in SiteManager/Administration) if there are no exceptions for scheduler.

Also please check settings of the scheduled task, if it's not bound to particular server (incorect entry in "Server name" field) and if the domain where the site runs on is the same as in "Sites / <yoursite> / General / Site domain name"

Regards,
Zdenek Cetkovsky

marko-softing - 3/11/2009 4:24:31 AM

I have check all you suggestions. I put the server name the same as the site domain name. In the sceduler task for Analytics log processing, last result: Length cannot be less than zero. Parameter name: length..

And in the event log the exception is:
EXCEPTION MESSAGE: Unable to connect to the remote server; STACK TRACE: at System.Net.WebClient.DownloadDataInternal(Uri address, WebRequest& request)
at System.Net.WebClient.DownloadData(Uri address)
at System.Net.WebClient.DownloadData(String address)
at CMS.Scheduler.SchedulingHelper.RunSchedulerRequest(String url).

Kentico Support
Kentico Support
kentico_zdenekc - 3/11/2009 1:25:40 PM

Hi Marko,

If the scheduled task runs on the same server, you don't need to set the server name.

But that shouldn't be a problem.
If it still won't run, could you please provide us with an access to your site if it's available online? You can send the credentials to support@kentico.com and include the link to this forum thread.

Regards,
Zdenek C.

Mufasa - 5/6/2009 11:14:08 AM

For what it's worth, this has happened to us twice separately on production web sites. For whatever reason, a file gets write locked, then Kentico doesn't finish writing it out correctly. Then the Web Analytics scheduler job fails on that file. It throws an exception and stops processing. Then, when the scheduler runs the next time, it loads the file first, same thing. The other files start backing up since they are never getting processed.

You (Kentico) really need to change the code so it simply logs if a log file is broken or can't be accessed, and continue processing the other files. Otherwise, if the admin isn't watching closely, you get 10,000 log files filling the directory in no time at all since Kentico creates and deletes gobs of these log files every minute it seems.

Kentico Support
Kentico Support
kentico_jurajo - 5/18/2009 6:04:27 AM

Hi,

Thank you for your suggestion. We will try to improve the web analytics module in one of the future versions.

Best Regards,
Juraj Ondrus