Portal Engine Questions on portal engine and web parts.
Version 4.x > Portal Engine > List Menu questions View modes: 
zedg - 5/15/2009 4:53:32 AM

List Menu questions
I have added a cmslistmenu to my site, however

1. One of the links within the menu needs to go directly to an external website (not an internal page). How would I do this/specify the url?

2. How can you add ‘title’ tags to the menu items?

3. Is it possible to give individual menu items their own style ‘id’ and ‘class’

4. Is it possible to incorporate a js script/menu into the cmslistmenu? (the dropdown links obviously link to dynamic internal pages within the navigation)

5. If the above is possible, how would I go about making a dropdown link a bookmark onto another page?

(eg, mypage.aspx#info )

Any response is Much Appreciated!
Neil.

zedg - 5/15/2009 8:53:52 AM

RE:List Menu questions
Ok, I have worked out 1. and 3.
The others are ??

Kentico Developer
Kentico Developer
kentico_helenag - 5/18/2009 9:19:08 AM

Hello,

2. You could use the list menu property: Render link title: true but you may not insert your own text inside. It valuates the title with document name.
3. I am not sure what the JavaScripts should do. There is a possiblity to run a JavaScript code when click on menu item (document Properties -> Menu -> JavaScript command). If you would like like to use a global script you could place it anywhere – for example use Java script web part (http://devnet.kentico.com/docs/webparts/Kentico_CMS_WebParts.htm#_a1a4b4a0-919a-4868-8e88-182844575c36 )
5. You could use document Properties -> Menu -> URL redirection.

Eventually, you could change the rendered code of List menu and replace some parts, for example. Please see this forum thread: http://devnet.kentico.com/Forums.aspx?forumid=36&threadid=7311 for more information.

Best regards,
Helena Grulichova

zedg - 5/19/2009 2:11:00 AM

Thanks for this.

2. was so obvious.
3. I have looked at this but really have no idea how to do this as i dont know/use Visual Studio/asp code etc. If someone has ever aded a dropdown to the cmslistmenu successfully that would be sweet as.
4. see above.

zedg - 5/19/2009 11:22:07 AM

The menu code being generated..

<li class="ea"><a href="/site/link1" title="Employers">Employers</a></li>
<li><a href="/site/link2" title="Apprentices">Apprentices</a></li>
<li><a href="/site/link3" title="Skills">Skills</a></li>

What would i need to do to be able to add:
rel="dropmenu1"
rel="dropmenu2"
within the href on specified links? So it would sppear:

<li class="ea"><a href="/site/link1" title="Employers">Employers</a></li>
<li><a href="/site/link2" title="Apprentices" rel="dropmenu1">Apprentices</a></li>
<li><a href="/site/link3" title="Skills" rel="dropmenu2">Skills</a></li>

Note that i would be doing this through the portal engine, not editing pages externally.

Kentico Developer
Kentico Developer
kentico_martind - 5/25/2009 6:37:21 AM

Hello,

You could eventually ensure this using RenderedHTML property of menu control. Please see this thread for more details.

Best Regards,

Martin Dobsicek