Portal Engine Questions on portal engine and web parts.
Version 4.x > Portal Engine > E-Commerce module for management institute View modes: 
sandip.patil-acapteam - 6/18/2009 10:27:59 AM

E-Commerce module for management institute
Hi
I m adding the e-commerce module in the corporate site.Site is for the management instutute.
They offer the courses to the management students so course is a product in this case.
Courses having data like
1)course code
2)course name
3)course description
4)course price
5)Available seats
6)startdate
7)enddate
7)location
8)language

Data like 1,2,3,4 will never change but 5,6,7,8 change always when new course will be offered. When user book (purchase) 1 seat online then available seats will reduced by 1 and so on.
To achive this i did below things
1)I have created new document type of this product type and fields are course code,course name,course description,course price.
2) I create one product of this type.
3)For Available seats i used 'Available items' and 'Sell only if items are available' fields of inventory so automaticaly seats are decremented when one seat is purchased.
3)For variable attributes like startdate,enddate,location and language i create product options of it.
I face one problem for start date and end date, for this i take only one dropdown list and fill the options with combined dates. like 1 june to 3 june 2009.
M i going in right way?
Is there any other methods to do this kind of things?

kentico_pavelk - 6/30/2009 6:50:00 AM

RE:E-Commerce module for management institute
Hello,

Yes, your approach is correct. As regards the problem with date;
I would recommend you to create custom form control for startdate and enddate that will return proper string (1 june to 3 june 2009 for example). The form control may contain two calendar controls. Their values will create the required format. You can use this control for another field in your document type.
There is a chapter in our Developer's guide that describes form control development. Please a link to it below.
http://devnet.kentico.com/docs/devguide/index.html?developing_form_controls.htm

Best Regards,
Pavel Knotek