General - .NET User Groups General issues with editing, development and graphic design.
Kentico CMS for .NET User Groups > General - .NET User Groups > Masterpages View modes: 
positivepurchasing - 4/26/2012 10:27:31 AM

Masterpages
Portal Engine.

I just seem to be going around in circles and getting nowhere with masterpages. If I change a child page the masterpage is changed as well which is crazy.

How can I stop this so that it works correctly?

Kentico Support
Kentico Support
kentico_radekm2 - 4/26/2012 4:02:00 PM

RE:Masterpages
Hello.

Could you please clarify what exact content on your master page is changed, when you change your content page (how?). I would to follow exact steps, so I can reproduce this on my machine and say some relevant comment about it. Thank you.

Best Regards,
Radek Macalik

positivepurchasing - 4/27/2012 3:32:39 AM

Kentico CMS, version 6, Portal pages.

I am struggling constantly but I will persevere in the hope I will start to understand Kentico.

I need to use masterpages and content pages in the same way that aspx pages do in native asp.net webforms.

I need a masterpage (containing a header and footer) which will be site wide. Then the homepage and other pages will use the masterpage but will have different content in between the header and footer.

How do I achieve this in Kentico.

I have created a new site and I'm trying to copy the example corporate site but it is very difficult to understand.

Cheers

positivepurchasing - 4/27/2012 4:26:59 AM

OK I think I've managed to copy the very complex way that the example corporate site is using a masterpage and content pages.

However now I have web part zones that are showing up in the sub pages but should not be. They are displaying (not in layout) but they aren't in the example corporate site. How do I hide them?

positivepurchasing - 4/27/2012 5:09:45 AM

OK I just removed the 'Not in layout' webparts and the zones disappeared form the content pages and they stayed in the masterpage. Excellent

I hope this gets easier, as I am really struggling with Kentico. Nothing makes any sense.

Kentico Developer
Kentico Developer
kentico_helenag - 4/28/2012 9:48:41 AM

Hello,

I would recommend to read a tutorial (Tutorial - Corporate site) and use the Developer's Guide for more details. For example the section about Portal templates: Portal engine overview. It should help you to understand the system better.

Best regards,
Helena Grulichova