General - .NET User Groups General issues with editing, development and graphic design.
Kentico CMS for .NET User Groups > General - .NET User Groups > Suggesting with Kentico View modes: 
positivepurchasing - 4/19/2012 8:08:20 AM

Suggesting with Kentico
I am currently over 100 pages through the manual and I have read zero about making a new site, something I find very strange and worrying.

Will using portal pages over aspx pages give content editors greater ability to change templates. For example a content editor can change the look of the header or is that possible in both a portal type page and an aspx page.

Also if I use only portal pages can webparts be placed on portal pages.

I need answers to these basic questions so that I can decide if Kentico will be useful to us.

Please point me in the direction of some reassuring info.

Cheers.

positivepurchasing - 4/19/2012 8:10:52 AM

RE:Suggesting with Kentico
I meant to type the subject as 'Struggling with Kentico' not 'Suggesting with Kentico'

Sorry.

kentico_michal - 4/20/2012 2:15:46 AM

Hi,

I would recommend you to read the following blg to get more information about portal engine and .aspx templates: ASPX templates versus Portal Engine developement in Kentico

Once you decide which development model suits your needs, you can start develop your site as it is described in following sections in Developer's guide: Portal engine, ASPX templates

The process of creating a new site is covered in this section: New site wizard

I hope this will help you.

Best regards,
Michal Legen

positivepurchasing - 4/20/2012 3:58:03 AM

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I think I understand Kentico now. I'm going to use the ASPX templates.

To the developer Kentico is an API/Framework built on ASP.NET.

Then after development Kentico is a CMS to the content editors.

Is that about correct?

Cheers

kentico_michal - 4/22/2012 3:50:08 AM

Hi,

If you decide to use aspx templates, then, Kentico CMS can be considered as another Framework. Once you have finished the development, Kentico CMS is content management system that allows editors edit, create and manage documents in a user-friendly way.

Best regards,
Michal Legen

vin4.net-gmail - 7/18/2012 1:32:45 PM

Example for Upgrading templates
Hi,

I am no getting any examples in upgrading Version 5.5R2 ASPX templates of an application into Version 6.0 portal engine templates.

Could you please guide me or show an example so that I can understand.

Thank you in advance.

Regards,
Vinod

Kentico Support
Kentico Support
kentico_radekm2 - 7/19/2012 4:01:59 AM

RE:Example for Upgrading templates
Hello.

Please refer to http://devnet.kentico.com/Forums/f57/t27765/Creating-custom-aspx-template.aspx

Best Regards,
Radek Macalik