Installation and deployment
Version 3.x > Installation and deployment > Web Analytics not working View modes: 
Certified Developer 8
Certified Developer 8
bryan-bit-wizards - 9/30/2008 10:13:14 AM

Web Analytics not working
We have several sites developed using Kentico. For some reason, one of them is not running Web Analytics. In CMS Desk -->Tools --> Web analytics there is no data displayed.

If have done the following:

- Enabled "Web Analytics" in the Site Manager-->Settings-->Web analytics area.
- Added "Full Control" permission for "NETWORK SERVICE" account to the entire website folder (This is being hosted on a Windows 2008 server)
-Verified the app pool for the site is running under the NETWORK SERVICE account
- I have verified that every setting in Site Manager-->Settings-->Web analytics is identical to another site we have in which Web Analytics is working
- I have restarted the application and cleared all unused memory/cache

Is there some additional step I can take to determine why Web Analytics is not running on our site?

Kentico Developer
Kentico Developer
kentico_helenag - 10/1/2008 3:30:42 AM

RE:Web Analytics not working
Hi,

It is very strange behaviour, I have tried to reproduce your issue and it works correctly.

Could you please check unless there is any data in CMSDesk -> Web Analytics -> Page views?

Unless so, could you please send us an export of your site to support@kentico.com, so that we could inspect this issue?

Thank you.

Best regards,
Helena Grulichova

main-it - 11/11/2008 7:45:54 AM

Hi, I've a similar problem.

I installed my first Kentico site on a production server. I've enabled Web Analytics (Globa settings - the site settings inherits from Global). I can't see any report (all the reports are empty) but "Page views" which gives me the correct number of pages visited.

Any idea?
MR

Kentico Developer
Kentico Developer
kentico_helenag - 11/11/2008 10:53:05 AM

Hi,

Bryan has an issue with a missing Analytics log processing task.

Could you please check if you have a process with this name in:

CMSSiteManager -> Administration -> Scheduled tasks

?

Thank you.

Best regards,
Helena Grulichova

main-it - 11/12/2008 2:15:28 AM

Hi Helena,
I'm using Kentico EE v. 3.1a. I found a task named "Analytics log processing" that runs every 1 minute. Last and Next run are up to date, Executions count is 245.

Today, the "Page views" report is updated, the others reports are still empty.

Should I open a support request (I'm a Kentico Partner with a valid subscription)?

Many thanks for your support.
Marcello

Kentico Support
Kentico Support
kentico_jurajo - 11/12/2008 7:37:31 AM

Hi,

Could you please check this folder /app_data/CMSAnalytics/ if there are any old log files?

What are the other setting for the web analytics? Have you enabled all the tracking that are listed for your web site?

Moreover, could you please check the Event log in Site Manager -> Administration for any errors?

Thank you in advance.

Best Regards,
Juraj Ondrus

main-it - 11/12/2008 8:08:59 AM

Hi Juraj.

Thank you for your answer. The content of the /App_Data/CMSAnalytics folder is the following:

filedownloads_081112_1144.log
filedownloads_081112_1150.log
filedownloads_081112_1153.log
pageviews_081112_1137.log
pageviews_081112_1144.log
pageviews_081112_1150.log
pageviews_081112_1152.log
pageviews_081112_1153.log
pageviews_081112_1154.log

In the Kentiko Event Log I can't see any problem except messages of type "E", source Application_End, Description ... Hosting Environment caused shutdown ... which, I think, are regular.

All the settings in Web Analytics are checked (both Globals And site specific).

Some other information for you:
1. The site is installed in a pre-production environment. The server is for production but the URL is unknown to public (i.e. testnewsite.mydomain.it) to allow my customer to insert content before going on-line. To allow this configuration I generated a new license from "my account" on Kentico site.
2. In IIS, I disabled the flags "enable loggin" and "log visits" because they refer to IIS log system and I think that Kentico works on custom events, not IIS log files. Isn't it?
3. I granted R/W permission to NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE for the web site folder.
4. If you need to perform more tests, I can send you an e-mail with the URL and the password for Administrator. I can open an FTP channel too.
5. Yesterday I changed the frequency of the Analytics log processing task from 1 minute to 60 minutes. I don't need a refresh every one minute and I would like to reduce the server load.
6. Since my last post, the Executions counter increased to 248 (so it works).

Kind regards,
Marcello

Kentico Support
Kentico Support
kentico_jurajo - 11/12/2008 9:15:38 AM

Hi Marcello,

Thank you for the detailed description. It seems that the files are blocked by some other process. Could you please check it?

If it won't help, please send us the access credentials to your CMS in e-mail message to support@kentico.com and please refer to this forum.

Thank you in advance.

Best Regards,
Juraj Ondrus

main-it - 11/12/2008 9:30:12 AM

Hi Juray, I just sent the message.

Thank you.
Marcello

homesick_alien13-hotmail - 2/22/2011 11:05:08 PM

I also got a problem with web analytics.
when i manually run the scheduled task, i check event log and found this error

Event ID: 1057711
Event type: Error
Event time: 2/23/2011 12:48:28 PM
Source: WebAnalytics
Event code: LOGHIT
IP address: 10.130.186.240

Description: Message: The process cannot access the file 'D:\IIS\App_Data\CMSModules\WebAnalytics\filedownloads_110223_1248.log' because it is being used by another process.
Stack Trace:
at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy)
at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy)
at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options)
at System.IO.StreamWriter..ctor(String path, Boolean append, Encoding encoding, Int32 bufferSize)
at System.IO.StreamWriter..ctor(String path, Boolean append, Encoding encoding)
at System.IO.File.AppendAllText(String path, String contents, Encoding encoding)
at CMS.WebAnalytics.HitLogProvider.LogHit(String codeName, String siteName, String culture, String objectName, Int32 objectId, Int32 count)

Kentico Support
Kentico Support
kentico_jurajo - 2/23/2011 6:22:07 AM

Hi,

What is your time interval between processing the web analytics scheduled task? If it's too short, and your site is a larger one, it may happen, that the previous process wasn't finished and is locking the log files.
Could you please try to extend the web analytics scheduled task interval to e.g. 5 (maybe 10, 15) minutes?

Best regards,
Juraj Ondrus

homesick_alien13-hotmail - 2/23/2011 9:07:54 PM

i changed it to 1 hour and try run it manually but still got that error

Kentico Support
Kentico Support
kentico_jurajo - 2/25/2011 3:13:31 AM

Hi,

If it is possible, could you please delete the file on which it fails? Or move it temporarily to a different location and then back again?

Best regards,
Juraj Ondrus