Portal Engine
Version 3.x > Portal Engine > Changing Master Page content affects to all other sites. View modes: 
horo - 9/16/2008 12:28:38 PM

Changing Master Page content affects to all other sites.
Hi to All,

First of all, thx for Kentico CMS.

After more than 2 days nightmare of trying navigate in DNN jungle finally I saw the light: Kentico. I think I was a lucky man, it could be worst (for example spending 3 years with DNN :-)

Btw, I know Oracle APEX, I suppose guys at Kentico also :-), if I am wrong, then check it.

---

Of course I do not understand some concept clearly yet, so here is my problem:

I try to create a new portal using the .PDF guide KenticoCMS_Tutorial (Portal Engine version)

It uses a Blank master page template. At page 91 it instructs me to copy and paste the sample home.html content
to the page layout text editor, and save.

As I understand (and monitored with SQL Server Profiler) this save operation overwrites the blankmasterpage template layout in the database.

If I create a second site, also using the same wizard steps, and change the master page content, it will change this first site's master also. This is not the desired behavior.

How to prevent this side effect?
The site1's master page should be an independent copy from other sites.

Missed I something?

---

Other question:

Can I change the master page of a site later? (not the content, the page itself)

thx for answers.
horo

Kentico Support
Kentico Support
kentico_radekm - 9/16/2008 1:02:30 PM

RE:Changing Master Page content affects to all other sites.
Hello,

the solution is simple. When you install first Blank master page site and change master page so it has content now (web zones, web parts), go to its Properties -> Template and click Save as new template... Named it e.g. "Master 2." Now if you install second Blank master page, it will use Blank master page template, co when you change it, it will have no effect to Master 2 template. By this way, you can have as much independent master pages as you wish. You can change them in master page´s Properties -> Template -> Select...

Best Regards,
Radek Macalík

horo-controll - 9/16/2008 2:50:10 PM

RE:Changing Master Page content affects to all other sites.
Hi Radek,

Thx for fast answer. It works :-)

horo