Technical support This forum is closed.
Version 1.x > Technical support > Page templates for other documents than Page(MenuItem) View modes: 
janusz - 6/29/2005 12:38:22 PM

Page templates for other documents than Page(MenuItem)
Hello!

I have tried to understand the concept of applying ASPX template on the Page(MenuItem) document type. From what I have seen it looks like it is the only document type that allows to assign the page template.

Is there any way how to assign a page template to other document types?

E.g

In the Kentico Mobile Store sample you can see the Products/Motorola category that is of the type Page(MenuItem). Underneath there is a Products/Motorola/Motorola V300 of the Mobile phone type.

In this case you can add the Mobile phones into many places in the tree because the Page(MenuItem) has allowed child templates set to a MobilePhone.

It would be very usefull to me if I could create another "version" of Page(MenuItem) that would be called "ProductCategory". This ProductCategory could have a page template defined and allowed child templates to MobilePhone. Additionaly, I could setup a custom editing page for the ProductCategory that would have a fixed template defined and an user could not display this category with a different template in a different way.

I am not sure if I am missing something or it is really not possible to do it in any way.

admin - 6/29/2005 5:54:50 PM

Re: Page templates for other documents than Page(MenuItem)
Hi Janusz,

Thank you for your message. Unfortunately, it's not possible to specify the page template for other document type than Page (menu item). However, if your goal is to restrict user from choosing a different page template you can use the following architecture (with regards to the sample application you mentioned):

You can create a Products section of type Page (menu item) with page template products.aspx. Then, you can create folders instead of pages (menu items) for subcategories and display them in the CMSTreeMenu. All documents in the Products section will be displayed with the same page template and the user will not be able to use any other template.

Please let me know if it works for you. If not, we will try to find a better solution with you.

Thank you.

Best Regards,

janusz - 6/30/2005 11:59:43 AM

Re: Page templates for other documents than Page(MenuItem)
Thanks Petr.

I think I can achieve my goal with this approach.

Janusz