Technical support This forum is closed.
Version 1.x > Technical support > Using Kentico with Sourcesafe View modes: 
drew - 7/12/2005 7:09:34 PM

Using Kentico with Sourcesafe
Has anyone had any experience with using a Kentico Web project with Sourcesafe? The problem I see with using sourcesafe are the directories and default.aspx files that are created by Kentico when a new page item is created. These folders and files would not be part of a asp.net web project thus when the project is checked in another developer would have a problem running the Kentico web site on their machine. I suppose the developer could open the Sourcesafe application to checkin the Kentico folder and directories but that of course will add another step to the process.

Please let me know if there is a better way to use Sourcesafe with Kentico or if there is another tool that would be a better fit.

Thanks,
Drew

admin - 7/13/2005 1:43:55 PM

Re: Using Kentico with Sourcesafe
Hi Drew,

unfortunately, we don't know any easier way how to solve this. However, if you do not insist on URLs like /products/nokia and if you could use URLs like /products/nokia.aspx instead, you can configure Kentico CMS so that it doesn't use the "dummy" folders on the disk at all:

You only need to add the following keys to your web.config file:

<add key="CMSFriendlyURLStyle" value="dotaspx" />
<add key="CMSGenerateFriendlyUrlFiles" value="false" />

I hope this helps.

Best Regards,

drew - 7/13/2005 4:30:01 PM

That sounds like a possible alternative for us as I don't think it will matter to anyone if the aspx extension is visible. I will try that out.

Thanks for your help,
Drew

lucasrem - 7/15/2005 7:46:25 AM

wiebe and i never agread on making a good sourcesave inplantation for the Kentiko CMS, lets work somthing out.......

togetter we make great things

lucas rem
www.netindustry.nl

kpatton - 8/16/2005 4:51:48 AM

Hi,
Also, with CMSDesk, there is the problem that the /Metadata folder has automatically generated folders and files.

If /Metadata is included in the CMSDesk project when added to SourceSafe, the folder becomes read only.

It doesn't therefore seem possible to use source control on the CMS Desk application, at least not in a way that will integrate easily with Visual Studio.Net.

As there is source code in the /Metadata folder you need to include it within the CMS Desk application so that it builds.

One solution is to ensure that all 'metadata' is stored within the database and not on the file system. I don't know how feasible that is now that user controls are allowed as transformations in v1.7.

Personally, i think the auto generation of files and folders should be kept to an absolute minimum and i don't think it should ever interfere with source control management strategies.

admin - 8/16/2005 9:16:05 AM

Hi Keith,

thank you for your post. The metadata and some configuration files are currently stored in the file system for better performance and for easier management (XML stored on the disk provides larger flexibility in this case).

We also VSS for Kentico CMS development and it's necessary to check out the Metadata folder contents or relevant files before you make changes to document templates.

Best Regards,

kpatton - 8/16/2005 10:26:28 AM

Hi Petr,
Thanks for that. I understand that the xml files can provide flexibility, but CMS Desk provides the means to essentially manage these files, so having the xml configurations in SQL Server, and managing them through a web interface wouldn't seem to reduce flexibility for the user.

To put CMSDesk in VSS, you not only have to check out the Metadata folder before making changes (otherwise you get an authorisation exception), you have to ensure that you refresh the CMSDesk project and include any new additional files that have been created by Kentico in your application before checking everything back in.

It's not a really big deal, but again, it would be nice not to have to worry about doing this, as it feels like a hack!

kpatton - 8/18/2005 9:14:55 AM

Hi,
There's also the not insignifcant issue of making sure a deployed version of Kentico to a client is easily maintained.

At present, i believe there would be the need to restore a client's database and also the /Files and /Metadata folders from their system, in order to be sure you had a 'snapshot' of their system.

I would like to have the option of having everything in the database, so that the file system is not used at all, source control works as intended and you can be confident that only a database restore is necessary to get a snapshot of kentico.

keith

kpatton - 8/18/2005 9:16:21 AM

obviously the file system needs to be used, i simply mean having the option to not have the file system written to by the system at run-time.