The hotfix or upgrade process consists of the following steps:
1. Specify the root folder of the Kentico CMS instance you want to upgrade or hotfix.
oThis is only necessary if you ran the utility manually (not from Kentico Installation Manager).
Setting the folder of a project to upgrade/hotfix
2. Click Next.
3. Specify a project backup folder and click Backup OR check the I already have a backup of my project check-box.
Creating a backup of a project
4. Click Next.
5. Specify a database backup folder and click Backup OR check the I already have a backup of my database check-box.
Creating a database backup
6. Click Next.
7. Keep the default settings (i.e., all options enabled) OR click the Switch to advanced mode (for experts only) link and specify, if the upgrade or hotfix should replace project files, setup files (i.e., external utilities) and execute SQL scripts..
Configuring the upgrade/hotfix settings
8. Click Next.
9. Select one of the first set of options:
•Use default App_Offline.htm - the utility creates a new App_Offline.htm file in the root of the web project to put the instance into an offline mode (see http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff925031.aspx for more details on the use of the file).
•Use existing App_Offline.htm_ - uses an existing App_Offline.htm_ file and renames it to App_Offline.htm. The file must be present in the project's root folder for this option to be available. See the second option below for more details.
10. Select one of the second set of options, which lets you choose what to do with the App_Offline.htm file:
•Delete - the file will be deleted.
•Rename to App_Offline.htm_ - the file will be renamed to App_Offline.htm_ and usable on next upgrade or hotfix.
Shutting down the application
11. Click Next.
A log showing progress of the hotfix or upgrade is be displayed. You can enable the Show error messages only check-box to display only error messages in the log.
12. Click Next, once the process finishes.
The utility lets you know if the hotfix or upgrade finished successfully. By clicking the Open log file link, you can open the upgrade process log that was displayed in the previous step.
Physically, the log is saved in ~\App_Data\log.txt, so you can inspect it even after closing the utility.
Succesful hotfix application
If an error occurred while applying the hotfix or upgrade, the utility will notify you with a message and an error log.
Failed hotfix application
13. Click Close to finish and close the utility.