ASPX templates
Version 3.x > ASPX templates > How to Edit Master Page View modes: 
bluisana-blusolutions - 11/1/2011 10:28:33 AM

How to Edit Master Page
Hello,

I just took over an existing site that is using Kentico. I am trying to figure out how to edit some html that is on the master page of the site. I have seen other posts and documentation showing how to do this but I can't find a MasterPage tab anywhere in this install. It also looked like the documentation that I was looking at was for version 6 and this site is on V3. I don't see the master page in page templates or anywhere else. I could just open up the file and edit it with a text editor but I am assuming the CMS isn't going to like that very much. Where do I go from here?

Thanks for your help

Bryan

Kentico Support
Kentico Support
kentico_radekm - 11/7/2011 2:13:23 AM

RE:How to Edit Master Page
Hello.

First, it depends on development approach you are using - Portal engine or ASPX template. This forum post is in ASPX category, so I assume this is the case. Master page tab is available in CMSDesk / Content / Edit mode, when you choose your root document. However, if you want to modify asp.net code of the template itself, Visual Studio should be used for this purpose.

As for documentation, Developer's guide for Kentico CMS 3.0 is available here. You can also read ASPX tutorial for version 4.0. It is basically still the same principle. Thank you.

Best Regards,
Radek Macalik

bluisana-blusolutions - 11/7/2011 8:47:33 AM

Hey Radekm,

I just looked through the documents again. Everything that I click in CMSDesk->Content just gives me tabs for Page, Form, and Properties. What I am trying to change is just html that is in the master.aspx. Can I just edit the file in a text editor and save it? The file is currently readonly (I am assuming this is a lock from Kentico). Can I manually change this and change it back once I am finished editing?

Thanks,

Bryan

Kentico Support
Kentico Support
kentico_radekm - 11/9/2011 4:29:13 AM

Hello Bryan.

Yes, you can edit given file in any text editor, or Visual Studio. It depends on you. If the file is locked, you can change it (disable Read-only flag) in file's properties in your file system

Best Regards,
Radek Macalik